Has Anyone Had Tinnitus Move to the Other Ear Temporarily?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Agrajag364, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My question is has anyone with unilateral tinnitus had it start up in their 2nd ear for 2 weeks or more but had it go away again?

I've had tinnitus for 3 months now. It was caused by a wax impaction in my left ear and for most of the last 3 months my right ear's been as silent as the grave though the left can be very loud. I got it in the right ear on and off after a child screamed near by ear, but that stopped after week. Two weeks ago though it started up again in the right ear. At first it was quiet and I could only hear it at night, but now it's as loud as the left ear, which is damn loud.

In first 6 weeks of having tinnitus I went through the crying shock and insomnia phase like a lot of people. After a month or so I started being able to sleep again and to try to be more positive, but now I feel like I'm back at the start again. The noise in the right ear has a few different pitches and trying to sleep with a cacophony of sound is harder than with one loud pitch.

So I wondered if anyone with tinnitus in one ear had it start up in their 2nd ear for 2 weeks or more but had it go away again?

My right ear did not sustain any damage so I can't think why it would start in the other ear. I realise the brain could get confused and learn the sound but there seem to be so many people with unilateral tinnitus who have had it in just the one ear for several years

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I have had very loud T in both ears for I think about nine years. It has always seemed louder in the left than the right. Lately for some reason it will be more noticeable in the right, (louder), than the left. Then it goes back to the left. It may be my imagination. I don't know. It is so loud anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jinxy
      Moonlighting

Jinxy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced - Loud Headphones
      I think it's common for tinnitus to fluctuate a lot during the beginning, so it might switch between ears, and tones can come and go. It usually stabilizes eventually after some weeks and stops acting so wildly, but if it's reactive, many stimuli can affect its loudness and style. Mine has started in one ear, spread to both ears, and then eventually settled on another.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      My tinnitus started off as unilateral in my left ear but has since become bilateral. I would say this has been the case for a month or less but I expect it to be permanent.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you all

6. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      my t started off in left. it was high piched in the left side of head. it's louder sometimes and it caused some distress for me but then i kinda got used to it. lately i have developed a new dial tune . it's in the head and mostly on the left side . i dont know if it's permanent of temporary but its kinda giving me anxiety . even though it's low and smoother than the other sounds i have . i guess i will have to get used to this as well :( ...