Has Anyone's Tinnitus Ever COMPLETELY Gone Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by donotringatme, Sep 30, 2020.

1. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I think you are projecting.

2. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Have you considered asking a psychiatrist for a Xanax prescription? You can't use it more than a few times a month, but it will give you a little vacation from tinnitus - by that I mean for me at least, it literally cuts the volume (I don't mean just makes you not care, I mean literally cuts the volume), and for anything that remains you kinda just don't care about it.

The downside is if you use it too frequently you will change your brain chemistry and the tinnitus can get worse, but you would need to do it more than 1x per week.

Used judiciously, it can be a nice respite, especially since you understandably seem distraught. I find planning tinnitus vacations gives me back some feeling of control.

I think whether it is natural healing or some treatment, we will reach a point of diminished or completely mitigated tinnitus.

3. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Isn't there something about benzos inhibiting neuroplasticity?

4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I've only ever heard that quoted from Jastreboff. Xanax is prescribed all the time and people are fine, especially when not taking it every day.

5. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Tinnitus has gone completely away for me, then it can come back too. But when it comes back I don't get bothered by it since I've learnt to habituate to the sound. Everyone's case is different and I don't want to give you false hope or anything; but yes it is possible for tinnitus to go away completely.

• Like Like x 1
    6. n_li808
      Irritated

n_li808 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      aug 20, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      most likely from acoustic shock/trauma
      @Raphael7713 hey, what was the cause of your tinnitus? And when did it go away? And for how long? Do you get it intermittently now?

7. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Typewriter tinnitus is a series of clicking sounds in a staccato pattern, much like the sounds a typewriter makes.

8. Barry17

Barry17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Motorcycle accident 2001 & acoustic trauma 2021
      If your hearing is good, tinnitus will usually not be a big problem, you will get used to it.

With hearing loss however, tinnitus can be a torture. You hear less and tinnitus gets worse. How many people with hearing loss have experienced hearing getting better with time?