Has Anyone's Tinnitus Got Worse From Barotrauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Sep 27, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I fly Thursday, my cold is clearing up but still crackling in my ears and they pop if I blow my nose which is hopefully a good sign. But still worried about the possibility of barotrauma increase my T.

One user experienced it to a certain degree and had no increase, but it is there anyone else who has experienced it and what was your T like after?

I will be wearing ear planes and hopefully decongestants although many are illegal in Japan.

Thanks.

2. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      There are people here who got T because of barotrauma, so it can also worsen T that you already have. BUT it's not said that you will have barotrauma. If it's only a cold you can clear up completely by Thursday. I experienced worsening that I chalk up to flying ( cause no other good reason ) even though I surely didn't experience any form of barotrauma whatsoever.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I have noticed that, but only a very limited amount of people it seems. My cold has pretty much gone, just a slight runny nose, but still have crunchy/crackly ears.

How long has it been? I had a spike after my last flight but went away after a week or two.

4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Very few people globally have barotrauma , that's why there are only a few cases on the forum. Well, It's been around 10 days now but I cannot be sure it's after the flight as it started only two , three days later, but I guess it's very probable. I'm trying to still believe it will get better again, but for now almost every hour of my life is a nightmare..

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have to make the decision today :(

My cold symptoms have mostly gone. However I woke up achy today with a little bit of mucus when blowing my nose. When I blow my nose, both of my ears usually pop, so surely this is a good sign?

They're constantly crackling and there's an occasional bit of pain in my right ear. Hope my cold isn't coming bac for round 2 but have to decide today. Ah, such a hard decision.

6. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      How about another visit to an ENT ? Do you use drugs with pseudophedrine ? Can you breathe normally through your nose ? ( cover one nostril, then another and breathe thru each ). But mostly, I'd go again to have a full check by a doctor. A little bit of mucoys is not a problem.

7. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Bro if you're sinuses are fine you're good to go stop worrying to much if you wanna be extra cautions get a decongestant with u a spray and keep on sipping some water during descent to equalize the pressure

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're probably right. I worry too much about everything. I have ear planes which should help too.

Only worry is that my ears still feel full of stuff and are clicking a lot. Also some sharp shooting pains. Will see the doctor tomorrow morning just to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
    9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Flown a few times since it all began. No new issues.

10. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Sudafed in spray and pills. You can clean your nose with phisiological salt ( or whatever it's called in Eng ) - you buy this sterile salty water in a pharmacy. I would say you're right to worry. Better safe than sorry, right ? I hope your ENT will state all fine. Make sure he does a full check up, ask many questions, be pushy. It's your health which is at stake, don't get intimidated . All the best.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for everyones input. I went to the doctor again today and got someone who was helpful. She inspected my ear as I've had a bit of pain between where my jaw is and my ear, lower down from the ear (not sure how to explain) She said I have a dull ear drum but doesn't think I have an infection. But googling makes me worried I may have an infection and well flying would be a disaster surely? The crackling has calmed down a bit as I've taken some sudafed.

Could the dull ear drum be because I've had the fluid from the cold? As wouldn't infection mean it would be read and have pus?

Any input is greatly appreciated as I fly tomorrow and can't move my flights now!!

12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      What did the doctor say about your flight ?She should be cristal clear : either infection or not or if it's dull, why is that so if it's not an infection ? She doesn't think or she's sure? I guess I'd be to afraid to risk, but I understand a trip to Japan doesn't happen everyday..Can't help more, sorry. And really sorry for the situation. But all in all, nothing's more important than health..