Has Quitting Alcohol Helped Anyone with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tex, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I did a search and didn't quite find what I was looking for. A number of topics indicated that alcohol helped people tolerate tinnitus better. I guess it does by just helping with distraction.

I have a few beers a few nights a week, just not every night. Here lately it seems like my tinnitus is much louder the next day. I'm wondering if I quit alcohol completely if my overall volume will decrease.

If I were to use a 1-10 rating system on volume, I would say that during the day -- my volume is a 7. The day after drinking a few beers it is a 10+! I'm wondering if I quit completely if my daily volume would average below the referenced daily 7?

I know there is no cure, just so-called habituation. I don't even like that term. I would rather call it tolerance, which I guess I can. What else is one to do?

If some on here indicated that completely quitting alcohol helped then I would give it a shot. I like the beer. But if quitting it helped lower my T volume I'll quit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hi there, TT conducted a survey in 2016 where one of the questions was on whether/how dietary items affect people's tinnitus. Please find below the results for alcohol. You can find the full survey results here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/attachments/hub-survey-report-pdf.9777/

upload_2018-3-27_19-32-16.png

Beware that the above breakdown only concerns the 811 people who reported any effect of alcohol. The vast majority of the 5,000+ respondents did not report any effect. So: most people = no effect, but when there is an effect it tends to be negative.

Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. tehibn

tehibn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music / Bars / Power Tools
      For me alcohol makes it better until the next day. Then it's real bad. Caffeine makes it worse right after I drink it.

4. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      Lol I'm just the opposite. Drinking brings it on immediately, but by two days later it's mellowed out. But 3 cups of coffee throughout the day does nothing to increase the volume. But I noticed your tinnitus was caused by loud noise and mine either a birth control, too much nicotine and a high stress job. I wonder if there's a difference in triggers there.

5. ItsNate101

ItsNate101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Military/Recent major spike unknown
      A few months ago when I was drinking heavy my T would increase quite a bit while intoxicated, it was much easier to deal with though. I wouldn't even care... Since I have stopped drinking my T has not had any improvement, It's actually worse now but that's obviously not because I stopped drinking. I'm having a lot of problems so my specific case is different. I would imagine its the same as people who smoke weed, Makes it worse for a day or so then goes back to normal.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      alcohol super quiets my tinnitus or super distracts me from it

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1