Has There Been a Day You Haven't Noticed Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Logan, Jan 18, 2014.

?

Has there been a day you haven't noticed your tinnitus?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    72.2%
    1. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have basically noticed my T at least once everyday (but usually a lot more then that) for the past 10 months. I was wondering if anyone has ever gone a day without noticing it once?

• Like Like x 2
    2. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Some people say they went for weeks without noticing it. I'm aware of mine every day as I always have been. It shouldn't matter as the goal is to not react to it. The more you react the more frustrated and stressed you are and the cycle continues. At some point I suspect everybody accepts their tinnitus and once you stop fighting it then it becomes less and less of a problem. Crudely that's the way habituation works. Some are fortunate enough to find a physiological change occurs and their tinnitus becomes quieter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. EdnaLegume
      Cheeky

EdnaLegume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      when I first got T, I got to the point where I never noticed it. I completely forgot about it. I would only think about it when I would read or hear something about T. Then I'd have to go in a silent room to listen for it. Then it spiked last month. I'm getting to the point where, while I don't go a whole day, I do get good bits of my day where I don't notice it... typically when I'm engrossed in something else. This has been going on for 6 or 7 weeks (this new spike) so I'd say it's a good sign that habituation is around the corner. That and the fact that I just don't care about this T. Every time I am really starting to get annoyed I just shrug and tell myself "just a noise, move on". It honestly doesn't bother me at all like it did when it spiked at first.

I find myself doing something and notice the T and remind myself "it's not stopping me from doing ..... such and such".

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It's been a long time. But a day never goes by when I don't notice my sore thumb, bad knee, the lift in my left shoe, my glasses, the hole in my head where a tooth used to be, my clicking jaw, my aging skin, my stiff neck ... just to name a few. I think I know what you're asking and I'm not being a smart ass, just trying to wonder my way through this too.
      Your question is a serious one. One of our 5 senses has been interrupted and it sucks.
      Honestly, I do think about it every day, but I think differently about it from day to day.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I too notice it daily, many times, but the reaction it was able to cause in the beginning has diminished greatly and am much better now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Before my spike a couple of months ago, I was getting close. I had days where I only noticed it 2-3 times a day, and with a mostly neutral reaction.

Now I notice it a lot more, but my reaction is different from day to day, hour to hour.

I think, naturally, the easier it is to mask and/or quieter the signal, the easier it is to forget about. I have heard of some people with T as loud as fire alarms / jet engines being able to forget about it for weeks at a time though, so perhaps it is possible regardless of strength given enough time. Just wish it'd come sooner!

7. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      I still notice it a lot. On a good day, I'll get out of bed, go to school, and I'll be kept busy enough that I won't notice it until I get home. But even though I still notice it, I've stopped being bothered by it for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I notice mine most during the evening my head can feel all buzzing my ears full this I can distract myself but if I wake up through the night it's there the tone the single tone I'm learning to cope and have techniques ready to get me off to sleep agAin sometimes they work sometimes they don't x

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      What makes a good day ? Experts claim T volume does not change.
      Is it based on mood? Activity? Distraction?

10. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I hear my T 24/7/365. All day and night. Never goes away. BUT I am dealing with it! Wish it would go away for a day or two (or forever!!!), but in the meantime, gotta get on with life!!(y)

• Like Like x 1
    11. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      2 months before my last spike there were many days that T went unnoticed. It was only if I drank a lot of coffee or was stressed that it was be present. I'm trying to get back to that point.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I can hear both my ringing and pulsating all the time, but I am more aware of the pulsating when I try to sleep. I'm still having some sleep problems, but overall, everything is much better. My reaction to the tinnitus, like most of you who have had T for awhile, is much better. I used to be in panic mode most of the time, but not so any more!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I hope you get back there Demi!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Steelbanks
      Happy

Steelbanks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm the same as Marku and others above - I notice it but don't care. It's a nice feeling to be on top of it - you WILL get there....

15. Glen Morse
      Cold turkey

Glen Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/08/2010
      I do notice it daily, but it has gotten a lot better. I had it constant at first, but now it has gotten better, and I have good days and bad days.

16. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      me too same as maruku but dont bother me anymore ....to much life to enjoy with the people who i love ... God has heard my prayers T has been good for the past two months ,,,, sleep is good 8 to 10 hours.... wake up to pee twice a night and back to sleep i go.... went back to work and T seems to be very calm ..... stress with dads passing T has been calm... eat ice cream and a few chocolates every now and then Y has been calm ... i protect my ears from loud noise with ear plugs ... Amen .... what i notice is i must stay away from spicy foods thats a trigger......and salt....

17. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I still can't say I don't notice it. Ok, when I'm busy or somewhere in the city centre, I don't notice it. Or also during sports I don't really notice it any more. But when I sit down in the evening in my quiet home, it seems really loud and does disturb me. But I guess it's an improvement when it doesn't disturb me that much any more during the day.

18. Dirk

Dirk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I can get through most of the day without noticing it, but eventually there will be a moment where I realise "hey, I haven't noticed it all day!" and then suddenly I notice it again. Sometimes I put my fingers in my ears just to confirm it's still ringing like ever.

But then I just say "sorry, don't have time for T right now" and most of the time my brain manages to ignore it. That always makes me very happy, as for the first 3/4 months I could hardly manage it. It gets better!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Jean-Philippe

Jean-Philippe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/01
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I have a question. For those who claims they do not hear their tinnitus for a day (or days, weeks...). Do you hear it at night? or is it possible to not even notice it when you go to bed in the quiet?