Have Musicians Given Up Playing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobbie7, Mar 12, 2016.

1. drox
      Pacman

drox Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss/music/stress
      The guy you saw was probably Gerard Spencer ! He is the one who brought me to this instrument :woot:!
      Are you from Brussels ?

2. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I played the oboe for decades before suffering sudden hearing loss three years ago. I cannot hear well enough to play in a group now, and I also dislike being around loud sound because my deaf ear reacts to sound. My first hurdle with hearing loss and tinnitus was accepting that part of my life had ended. I had all this pain in my ear and constant loud noise in my head but my biggest worry in the beginning was "I can't play anymore!"

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same here, that was what hurt the most. Along with having to miss concerts.
      And even though I still play sometimes, it's always a consideration and I always have to ask "will it be loud? Can I be not next to a drummer? Is there a decibel limit at this concert?"

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I keep hearing that I need to distract myself from this affliction to get on with life. 90% of what I was into involves music, and much of it above 85db. It's a challenge for sure.

On a bad day I have a hard time even enjoying playing. The most important element of music is the rest, and its filled with obnoxious noise.

I still love the good days though.

5. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No. Never. I stopped playing in a band when I went back to college at age 28 (now 52) and moved away from family and friends. Over the years I partied in bars with earplugs, attended concerts, and only once, 3 years ago, did my T increase slightly. Now I'm jamming with friends (see my recent thread) and weighing my options. I'm using Extreme Isolation headphone which are said to knock out ~30 dB. 90-30=60 dB, and I'm not concerned whatsoever at that level. Hell, the 12+ hours on a loud rickety bus in India, when I forgot to bring ear plugs (doh!) exposed me to probably 75-80 dB. Not to mention the 4 nearly 8+ hour flight legs to and from. I'll probably be in a box 6 feet under in 10-15 years after 30+ years with T.... Take precautions, but plow on.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      I've given up on my music, and it is by far the most unbearable thing I've ever had to do. As a violinist with T and hyperacusis---it's just unbearable to play anymore. Even with earplugs and gun range ear protection, it still is too loud. My T is very reactive and always gets worse no matter what ear protection I use.

I tried to play in the beginning but it always worsens my T. I can sing and often get told I should pursue that but if I can't even deal with being in a loud bar for over an hour with earplugs, how could I be able to perform live? It is so depressing to have trained for music as a career your whole life to only have to give it up. I'm only 28. I don't know how I will live the rest of my life with this. I honestly don't. People say, wear earplugs and do it anyway. That's easy to say but I can't ignore the stabbing ear pain that sends shock waves through my body. It's easier said than done.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      what about the sound waves? Are regular foam earplugs good for that...i wrote a post about this recently with no replies. I play drums but am staying away for a while...will get an electric kit eventually...but will playing with the guys in a studio with acoustic drums ever be a possibility?

8. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Ed209 , have you go back playing?

9. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      No, but it's funny you should ask because I keep getting offers that I'm currently turning down. One band in particular is doing some big gigs next year and need a guitarist. The drummer, who I know and have played with many times in other bands, keeps ringing me up to ask how my ears are. He really wants me in this band!

This time round he asked if he could at least send me the set list, so if I do want to play I can have the songs learnt.

I feel it's too soon and I'm not quite mentally ready, but in my day to day life I'm doing much better tinnitus-wise. For me, the less I focus on it, the more it becomes less of an issue. I'm not sure when the right time for me will be to go back to playing live.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Bobbie7 - I am a jazz trombonist for over 50 years, and I’m still at it, though very carefully, using ear plugs.
      I just try to be careful, and I complain to other musos if the volume comes up too high.
      I learnt to play Cornet, in the SA as a little kid, taught myself trombone aged 18y, and played professionally ever since 1960.
      I played at several international festivals, including Sacramento, and played on many cruises on the QE 2.
      Volume is a worry, and I do consider packing up, but so far I have continued.
      Best
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 1
    11. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just a sample.....
      When You Wish Upon a Star

• Like Like x 1
    12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Jazzer If you played at the Sacramento Music Festival, there's a good chance that I listened to you play.

13. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The Sacramento gig was about 1995.
      Fantastic festival - now much reduced in size I understand.
      We spent a week there, which allowed me time to indulge another passion - I collect books on Western American Artists.
      I loved the old town.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi @Jazzer -

Welcome to the TT forum!

I just saw the video and heard you play. You are terrific musician and I very much enjoyed your performance -- it was a welcomed treat and thank you for sharing it with us. I am impressed as you surely are a highly accomplished jazz trombonist to have played on the QE2 cruises as well as festivals and other venues. Learning to play cornet as a youngster and being self-taught to play trombone must have been quite a challenge but a rewarding one. I imagine it must have taken quite a long while for you to learn each.

Of course I understand your worry concerning volume and I assume you have a good pair of musician's ear plugs so hopefully you will be able to continue playing for as long as you wish. Sadly, there have been musicians who have given up playing due to their tinnitus and for these, it must represent a tremendous void in their lives. Fortunately, it does not appear your tinnitus impacts negatively upon you. I play my blues harmonica from time to time, using suitable ear plugs; I am one with the instrument when I play and I really love it. It's wonderful how music has this almost magical way of taking us away from the mundane tasks of everyday life... a welcomed respite.

Here's wishing you a pleasant and peaceful day. Best wishes.

Barbara

15. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

Thank you so much for the welcome Barbara.
      In a nutshell, I have had T at low level for 25 years, but then at high level for 3 1/2 years.
      I thought it would kill me.
      Devastation.
      I was trying to crawl inside my sofa and die.
      The volume has not varied from that day to this, and at times I really struggle.
      What varies is my ability to cope with it.
      I am getting better at that.
      I wouldn’t call it habituation, because I hear the hiss in my left ear the whole time.
      But I have found some techniques to help deal with it, including my particular meditation, that I have mentioned in an earlier thread.
      I also write my thoughts down on my iPad note book, and those items encourage me much.
      My wife is a gem, my family, children, grandchildren, and 3 glorious pussycats, are all so delightful. I adore them all.
      I actually taught myself trombone, and was playing professionally in jazz bands within a year.
      I know how to think ‘melodic musical phrases’ and will try to keep going if possible.

Finally, I have to mention, today was going to be a tough day for me, visiting my wonderful son in law, Robbie, desperately ill in hospital with spinal cancer, poor lovely sweet guy.
      Before I left home I read some of your warm upbeat posts, which really set me up, and cheered me ready for my day.
      We had a good visit, smiled, laughed and joked about......the noise in my head did not restrain me.
      Thank you for all that you do, Barbara
      Jazzer x

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi again @Jazzer -

I am sorry to hear about your son-in-law and I am sure you are supportive and a comfort to him.

It is a blessing that you have a wonderful family, pets and your coping mechanisms. Each person needs to find those techniques and/or activities which will help us tolerate the tinnitus and push it into the background or at least a further bit into it.

My husband who also has tinnitus plays the keyboard and is very talented. As a youngster, when his mother paid for piano lessons, he didn't relish practicing and even his piano teacher gave up! Turned out.. he really required no "formal" instruction since presently -- whenever he is at his electronic keyboard, he extemporaneously plays the most beautiful music and loves doing so. If he listens closely to any instrumental, he can replicate it and the way he plays by ear simply amazes me. As far as his tinnitus is concerned, when he "listens" for it, of course, it is extremely irritating but whenever he becomes absorbed in his interests, it does fade into the background. The same applies to me whenever I am immersed in my hobbies. Whatever we tend to most concentrate upon takes center stage. Needless to say, unfortunately there are those with extremely, intrusive tinnitus for whom this presents a mighty challenge .. if even possible.

However, we all need that essential ingredient in life: hope. Hope that a situation/condition will improve and that it will not overshadow our lives. Then there are those "Success Stories" which serve to hearten members posted by those who have gone on to lead productive and happy lives.

Wishing you a peaceful day/evening.

Barbara

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1