Have You Ever Had a Food Allergy Test Done and If So, How Accurate Was It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Oct 4, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm just curious if there could be a kind of food or something in the food which I eat that could be causing tinnitus flare ups. Especially certain sounds...

2. POGO2

POGO2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure seemed to appear after sinuous infection.
      Absolutely, I was tested for both food and airborne allergens and to my surprise, the test was positive for many items. The ENT doctor prescribed a regiment of tracking all food intake to see if the items I test positive resulted in a reduction of my Tinnitus (T) levels. In addition to absence of the foods, the ENT also prescribed the used of sublingual drops placed under my tongue at periodic intervals. The ENT noted this process would take several YEARS to resolve my body's reaction to food and airborne allergens.

Throughout the 2 year period my T did go down on occasion however, there were many times where it became very elevated. Articles on the success of sublingual drops are not positive however, I went though the program as it was the only option at the time. After 2 years of using the drops my T was still present even after absence of specific foods of which include foods that contain dairy and wheat. The only positive outcome is one I went "gluten free" I had a 30 lb reduction in weight. After a the 2 year period, I started to introduce wheat product and found that my T did not increase however I still abstain for dairy products as they definitely will increase my T.

Finding a ENT that is willing to diagnose a prescribe treatment of my T was very difficult in a large metropolitan area were I live. I visited 6 different ENT physicians and majority stated that there is no medication that can be subscribed to mitigate my T. I even tried hearing aids and Cryotherapy Treatment none of which resulted in any noticeable reduction in my T.

After sending thousands of dollars on trying to reduce my T, I finally read about Acoustic Neuromodulation (AM) discussed in this site. My T is 11,800 Hz and use of varying tones under a "White Noise" background does help to reduce the annoying effects of my T. It is touted as a cure however, since using AM treatment it has not helped in reduction of my T,

In summary, when I have a allergy flare up, my T increases for a period of 48 hours until the effects of the allergen are purged from my blood stream. Allergy treatments are very subjective and vary much the same as Tinnitus treatments. My current hope is for a legitimate method of diagnosing allergies and if found, hopefully in time a treatment for T will be found.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I could do with a food allergy test as I have many asthma + cronic allergic rhinitis...triggers.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey Glynis, did you ever get the food allergy done? It's possible I might if I can afford it this month. If I really had the money, I would want to get two independent labs to do it and then compare them.

5. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      No ,will see what my consultant can do on my next respiratory check up.
      Love glynis

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      i did an extensive food allergy test long b4 my t.

gliaden, casein, sugar, and lima beans are all problem foods for me.

i have fructose and sorbitol malabsorption also

my tolerance of these foods has improved with gut work.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Did you ever get that test done? :)

8. glynis
      Feminine