Having a Hard Time Sleeping

Discussion in 'Support' started by jraulc_11, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Anybody having a hard time sleeping at night with tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is very common problem for tinnitus sufferer at the beginning of T. In fact some support forums may have sticky threads about the issue. Two things keep you up - anxiety and more anxiety. Anxiety because you don't know what is going to happen to you, more anxiety because when you can't sleep, it adds more to the anxiety. So for newer sufferers, you may need 1) medications such as sleeping pills and anti-anxiety and/or anti-depressant drugs, and 2) masking sounds by your bed side. For 1) you really need to see your doctor about what suits you best. You may need to try out different ones to see what work for you. For 2) there are many options, such as having music or nature sounds played by CD player, computer, MP3 or ipod. For me at the beginning, I had a CD player playing nature sounds on repeat mode the whole night through at bed side. I used an ipod for more mobile masking on the go. Then at work, I used my PC download with a free sound generator called Aire Freshener and it has many sounds to choose from. Once you feel you have some sounds which can mask or partially mask your T, you anxiety level may drop enough for you to sleep. Good luck on your sleep issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Thanks man...ya this tinnitus came out of no where. I already seen an ENT doctor and they said nothing can be done and pretty much I have to learn to live with it. Im reluctant in taking meds but I think its my only choice right now :(

4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Melatonin 6mg, ½ hour before bedtime. Can be used long-term.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      I will try that...but one thing that really gets to me is the anxiety

6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Me too. Mine came for no apparent reason. I went to three family practice doctors and an ENT. The ENT looked in my ears with a microscope and couldn't find anything structurally wrong. He then gave me an audiogram test and my hearing was near-perfect in as much as the test could determine. So what caused my tinnitus is a complete mystery to me. Most tinnitus is associated with hearing loss, but mine isn't.

But my tinnitus did keep me up and give me a lot of trouble sleeping, especially during the first few weeks. I so badly wanted to get prescribed something like Xanax, but it seemed like none of my doctors were willing to take that step. Does anyone know why it is doctors seem to be reluctant to prescribe anti-anxiety meds? All of mine just told me to essentially live with it and that it might not be permanent so I shouldn't let it bother me. Easier said than done, for sure.

If you have a doctor willing to prescribe you meds to help you sleep, I would do it so long as it isn't a med that can increase the risk of hearing loss or tinnitus. But if meds are what it is going to take for you to get through the night until you're able to cope naturally, then so be it.

I will say that over time though, I was able to sleep even with my tinnitus. Like even when it was loud, I would still be able to fall asleep. In a lot of ways I so looked forward to it because sleep was the only time I did not hear my tinnitus.

Sometimes I don't know what is worse, the tinnitus or the anxiety that comes with it. But if I were you, if you have a doctor who is willing to prescribe you some anti-anxiety medication, then go for it. And while you're at that, make sure you look into getting treatment from someone who specializes in tinnitus management. Many people have habituated to their tinnitus, and so can you, as hard as that is to believe right now.

7. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Matt I haven't had the same experience my gp is a family friend and he gave me the xanax. Might depend on the doctor some are afraid to prescribe it, if you still have
      bad anxiety I'd find a new doctor, xanax has helped me immensely.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      I will see my doctor tomorrow and see what he can prescribe me.... Luckily where I live health care is free. I have another ENT appointment on may 6, hopefully he can do a microscopic assessment of my ear since that wasnt done on my first appointment.

9. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Thanks, I'm doing much much better now. But for the first 2 or 3 weeks, I really could have used some xanax as I was just about beside myself. And then to still have to go to work and function, it was just such a nightmare at the time. Like a lot of people, I did not think I'd get to the point where I am now, where I am basically living my normal life again.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      By any chance when you guys were trying to fall asleep did your heart start racing? I just can't get over that I have tinnitus! Even my girlfriend has noticed that ik different with her now.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Like I dont know if I suffer from anxiety or the anxiety is coming from the tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Could be both. I have yet to meet anyone with t that didn't get anxious from it, at least initially.

13. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I agree with cullenbohannon. If your doctor won't prescribe something for anxiety, find a new doctor. I went a month on my own and was a basket case--sleeping two to three hours a night and trying to work and adjust to T. I was a basket case. I posted here and followed the advice I received. I called my GP and he called in a week's worth of ambien . Then I went to see him two days later and he prescribed Xanax--which helped me immediately and now at five months I'm managing much better--not habituated but doing a lot better.

Go to youtube and type in 'tinnitus sound therapy' or 'white noiese' and a lot of white noise and environmental sound videos will come up. Here's one that might help:

White Noise : 9 Hour Long Tinnitus Masking

I hope you get some sleep, it really does help a lot!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Thanks guys I appreciate this information :) I am very new to this and im taking it day by day...

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Right now even my co workers have noticed me behave differently due to my tinnitus but I did mention it to them and showed me support. I guess sometimes even talking to others about your situation makes you feel better.

16. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      One day at a time is the only thing you can do. Just need to get through today. As a Christian, I continually remind myself of what Jesus said, "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own". The point is that we need to just worry about today and coping with today. That can in itself be overwhelming, but when we start to worry about tomorrow or the weeks ahead, then it can become overwhelming.

Also, the absolute worst thing you can do is keep this to yourself. The more people who can support you, the better. Honestly, if your friends don't want to support you in this time of need, then it would show that they aren't very good friends.

Also, one thing that has helped me is seeing a therapist. I have only gone a couple of times now, but I can tell this is really going to be good for me. I have a hard time dealing with "crises". I am a worrier, and my mind automatically goes to the worst case scenario, even if it is a low chance. I'm not saying you're that way, but I think therapy can help on so many levels. It can first off, give you someone to talk to. And sometimes just talking to someone is very beneficial. Also, it will, hopefully, teach you how to cope through times of anxiety or depression that you may be feeling from this.

17. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I guess it's sort of water under the bridge now. But yeah, my doctors really left me hanging. The first doctor I went to at urgent care didn't do jack for my anxiety even though I made it very clear that I was having a really hard time. Then my GP just sort of ignored my anxiety and just said, "Try not to let this bother you so much"... as if I could just control that. Then my ENT basically just told me to get help from my GP. The only people who seemed to really care about my general well being are my therapist (obviously) and this audiologist I met with who specializes in tinnitus treatments. I have only met with her once, but I'll probably see what she can do to help me habituate even more. I think for the most part I have it under control, but it still does get to me sometimes.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Thanks Matt. I know one thing I've been doing is a lot praying before I go to bed. Right now my parents are the most important people in my life as they understand what tinnitus does. They are very supportive. At the beginning I never told them about my situation thinking I would stress them but I was really down and they noticed how different I was acting. So I just told them that I had this condition but they having a hard time what tinnitus was. I did end up showing them some clips online because they did not have a clue on what tinnitus actually is. I know I will overcome this and God will guide me there.

19. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      There is definitely hope for you. Many people have learned to live with tinnitus; hopefully some day there will be a genuine cure for tinnitus, but until that day comes, the only thing we can do is learn to not let it bother us. If it doesn't bother us at all, in a sense, that would be a cure.

Sometimes you'll also be surprised at who has tinnitus that you didn't know previously. I didn't realize my dad had tinnitus until after I got mine and was talking to him about it. All those years of growing up and living together, and I had no clue. He did tell me it drove him crazy at first, but then he got used to it to the point where he doesn't even think about it anymore. There are many success stories like that. There are even professionals who can help you habituate. Some people habituate naturally, while others need help.

I'm glad you found this website. Many people have found comfort here and in the chat.

20. Nathaniel Teposo
      Anime

Nathaniel Teposo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 1, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma
      white noise or some sound of running water could help when you sleep :)

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      I remembered I bought this humdifier back then and makes this noise similar to white noise so im giving it a shot tonight to see if it works