Having Problems Coping

Discussion in 'Support' started by NeoM, Nov 11, 2013.

1. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      While my tinnitus seemed to have died down it now seems to be back up again. I really can't stand it. It's louder than anything. I can't seem to get any breaks. I'm having problems staying asleep. Nothing seems to mask it. My desire to do anything is way down. I just can't seem to handle it.

I've been having a lot of negative thoughts.

I want to believe that it will diminish to a reasonable level, but that seems like a fantasy.

Nobody around me seems to understand what impact this is having on me.

Not to mention the hyperacusis on my left ear is horrible. I just can't handle it.

2. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Tell yourself that you can stand it. What is leading to your emotional response is the feeling of having lost control so take steps to wrestle control back from your tinnitus. Use sound maskers (such as White Noise Lite - an app for Iphone and Android) whenever you feel negative as that gets you control. Ask your MD for some minor tranquilisers, such as lorazepam or clonazepam, in the first few weeks or months as this will reduce the emotional intensity of your brain's response to the tinnitus. Take whatever you need to ensure a few hours of deep sleep. In most cases, tinnitus will settle over time although there will often be flareups. Get psychological help in developing cognitive strategies to cope and remember 'It is only tinnitus' !!

3. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      hi neo m,
      there are ways to live with problems,to feel at ease you have to think there are some people who have worse illnesses,i take amitriptyline,it helps to get a calm and better sleep,it works for me,think positive and stay away from stress as much as possible,we are all in it together,be good to yourself,kevin

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Neo M,

I've had severe tinnitus for over 3 1/2 years now (I had very mild tinnitus before), and I can tell you from experience that it really does settle down. You are in the early stages of tinnitus right now, and that is usually when it is at its worst. Believe me, if you follow some of the suggestions from the other folks (above), things will improve. Just getting a good night's sleep again can be a challenge, so if you can see a doctor who will prescribe something calming for you right now, that will really help. Others on this forum have had success with a drug called Remeron, so you might want to ask about that.

I'm into natural supplements myself, so I would also like to suggest taking vitamins (especially Vitamin B-12), magnesium, and perhaps some chamomile tea at bedtime. Anything to calm yourself down will help.

You can vent to us here any time; we truly do understand what you're going through right now. I know it isn't pleasant, but I believe things will improve for you over the next couple of months. Stay strong, and please consider our suggestions!!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Thanks everybody. I was having a panic attack. I've calmed down today, but I'm still not getting enough sleep. I was prescribed ativan to help me sleep but that doesn't stop me from waking up in the night. I wonder if there's something stronger that will keep me asleep?