Headaches and Tinnitus: Correlation Found

Discussion in 'Research News' started by melbournejeremy, Sep 18, 2018.

1. melbournejeremy
      Wtf

melbournejeremy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/12/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The numbers of participants are quite impressive.

Risks of tinnitus, sensorineural hearing impairment, and sudden deafness in patients with non-migraine headache

Abstract
      Tinnitus and hearing impairment are prevalent among headache patients. This study aims to investigate the risk of tinnitus, sensorineural hearing impairment, and sudden deafness in patients with non-migraine headache. Participants included 43 294 patients with non-migraine headache (non-migraine headache cohort) and 173 176 patients with no headache of any type (control cohort) frequency-matched with respect to 10-year age interval and sex from the Longitudinal Health Insurance Database 2005 of the Taiwan National Health Insurance Research Database. The mean age of the non-migraine headache cohort was 28.4 ± 14.9 years, and 58.5% of this cohort was male. The incidence rates of tinnitus, sensorineural hearing impairment, and sudden deafness were compared between cohorts using the Kaplan–Meier method with the log-rank test. A Cox proportional hazard model was used to examine the association of tinnitus, sensorineural hearing impairment, and sudden deafness with non-migraine headache, with adjustment for all covariates. The combined risk of either tinnitus, sensorineural hearing impairment, or sudden deafness was higher in the non-migraine headache cohort than in the control cohort (adjusted odds ratio [aHR], 2.73; 95% confidence interval [95% CI], 2.62–2.84; p < 0.0001). Subgroup analysis showed that patients in the non-migraine headache cohort were at significantly higher risk of developing tinnitus (aHR, 3.05; 95% CI, 2.91–3.19; p < 0.0001), sensorineural hearing impairment (aHR, 1.89; 95% CI, 1.74–2.05; p < 0.0001), and sudden deafness (aHR, 2.14; 95% CI, 1.77–2.59; p < 0.0001) than were controls. In this population-based study, the risks of tinnitus, sensorineural hearing impairment, and sudden deafness were found to be significantly higher in patients with non-migraine headache than in those without headache.

Full article: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0222041

• Like Like x 1
    3. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Dear Frederic,

You should be paid by the BTA and the ATA.
      Your scholarship and research is beyond human, I would not be surprised if you have cybernetic implants. Thank you for your work, you're a blessing to this community. Hazel, Markku, yourself, and Autumnly should be paid at least 20 to 30 grand year to just help with your rent.

I will write to Mr. Gates and Trump, and a bunch of rich cats to see if I can scrounge some money for you. Thank you so much for your hard work.

This post went over my head, as of course i have freaking headaches, so I will not comment, I am just blown away by your dedication and selfless humility. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Daniel Lion: I blushed while reading your message. Thank you very much.

So will I divulge my secret? No, I do not have cybernetic implants and I do not think I deserve so much kindness from you.

Specifically, what I do is:
      - I subscribed to alerts on several websites of scientific publications with the word "tinnitus" (the most important by far being Google Scholar),
      - I receive about fifteen articles every day, I then take the time to read them (it takes about 2 hours), to filter them in order to relay the most relevant ones.

In addition I am not the only one to report information. @Aaron123 did it regularly (though it's a pity not to see him anymore), @JohnAdams does it too.

So it's very little compared to the work provided by @Hazel, @Markku, @Autumnly and many others (@Jack Straw, @Ed209) who spend a lot more time/money for Tinnitus Talk than me and have done a lot more (attending conferences, interviews production, videos editing). So great thanks to them.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Agreed. I still am grateful for your work and you should be paid.
      You are humble....

Take care, thanks again.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Mister Muso
      Buzzed

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I used to have the most excruciating, debilitating headaches from my 20s up until my early 30s. I'm talking off work for a week, howling/whimpering, climbing the walls, nothing-helps kind of headaches. They mysteriously stopped when I got married. For which my better half takes full credit of course. Then a decade or two when nothing much happened, and now here I am.

I guess whatever conditions underly the onset of tinnitus could also trigger headaches by some means. I've also had bad dental problems including bruxism all my life. The dots may all be joined up one day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      Wow! Thank you!