Headphones: Music vs Pink Noise/Brown Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mister Muso, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi

I've decided listening to music on headphones is bad for my ears. Any music, on any headphones. After 10 minutes or so it gets uncomfortable, which must be my ears telling me to stop. I've been told this is advisable for those whose tinnitus is caused by acoustic trauma.

So what about Pink Noise/Brown Noise through headphones? I'm doing that at work with musician's earplugs underneath and it's definitely calming the tinnitus and helping me focus in a noisy office environment. Is that safe when listening to music is not?

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sorry no one responded to this. I hate to see orphan posts when we are all in desperate straights.

My intuition tells me it depends on volume. You seem far enough out from your acoustic trauma now that lingering reactivity might be just that - nothing malicious but an inert attribute - I would try it and see if you spike or if there is discomfort. Ultimately that may be the only way to tell unless someone else chimes in with direct experience doing what you mentioned. I am in a similar conundrum with daytime masking.