Health Year from Work

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Hi,

I am planning to take a year off work, but somewhat worried about career issues when getting back.

Since I have gotten tinnitus taking care of my health has NOT been a priority at all and I have gained 35+ lbs and now crossing the 200 lbs threshold, yah it's hard to believe I was quite fit and health-conscious before this nightmare, but this needs to change as I am getting more health issues which is why I want to take some time to address this and it WONT happen if I have to work full time - tried and failed.

I having been working as a web developer for 3.5 years now for a full 7 years before than in tech support and I am guessing web developers are in high demand and there should not be issues getting back to work.

I can last on my saving for approximate 5-6 years.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 2
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would go with how you feel and if your a person happy in their own company and don't need something to get up to .
      Some people find work hard with tinnitus as can be debilitating and struggle to hold down a job.
      Some people find keeping busy better.
      Looking after yourself to get through life is most important if have the option that might be best for you.
      Love glynis

3. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I find work helpful also need medical in us. I find keeping to a schedule helps. If you are home you also have to find a schedule or I know I would go crazy. Maybe go part time. When I'm at work I get up and walk around a little bit. Or on lunch break go for a walk. I also take ciggy break even though I do not smoke.stay busy keeps your mind off of T. I have moderate t that moves around.

4. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      @Eric N Do they offer some form of ‘sabbatical’ leave at your work ? Maybe taking six months off unpaid would give you less to worry about rather than looking for a brand new job after a year. It’s important you have a plan for using your time off otherwise time will pass by without you achieving what you want. Can you distract yourself from your Tinnitus during this time off ?