Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Teri, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @Dr. Nagler

I have struggled with my hearing for quite some time. With the onset of T, I had some hearing tests with an audiologist working with the ENT. My hearing fluctuates. I tried one hearing aid for one ear (which has moderate loss). I did not get an aid for the other ear as the loss was mild. The Audiologist was not familiar with maskers to include with the aid which is what I was hoping for. The aid was very "screechy" and I could not adjust. I opted to wait. Fast forward a few months, I tried another aid with a different Audiologist and it was a much better aid as it had a built-in masker for the T, as well as being more sophisticated as it did not have the "screechy" noise. However, because of the fluctuation in my hearing, I opted to return the aid until my hearing stabilized. Given this information, will you please help me with the following questions:

1. Is it possible to get a benefit from hearing aids if hearing fluctuates?

2. How am I able to determine if hearing is a result of nerve damage vs genetics vs loud sounds?

3. I have also been told that I have endolymphatic hydrops which probably affects my hearing. I notice my hearing can be distorted. Will hearing aids help with distorted sounds?

If there are some questions and/or additional information you would like to add, please feel free to do so. Thanks.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Teri -

Your very good questions would be best addressed to an audiologist and/or a neurotologist. Unfortunately I am neither, and I would be on rather shaky ground trying to answer responsibly. So - with apologies - I believe I'll decline to respond.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1