Hearing Loss and Tinnitus After Gun Shooting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fabian Arroyo, May 28, 2017.

1. Fabian Arroyo

Fabian Arroyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun shooting
      Hi,
      My name is Fabian and I went gun shooting last Saturday (8days ago) I had my protectors in, but apparently my left side was not all the way in.

After shooting a couple of pistols and a rifle my ear felt clogged and couldn't hear very well.

After 2 days I had this ringing going on and couldn't hear very well either. I went to an ENT doctor and performed a hearing test, which of course detected the hearing loss with high frequency sounds.

The doctor started a steroid treatment with an Intratympanic Dexamethasone injection and Prednisone to take for the next 9 days. It seems my hearing got slightly better, but not back to normal yet. The T is still here and driving me insane.

Has anyone experienced something similar and has gotten back to normal. I would like some advice from anyone.

Thanks

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      You are very lucky to have had steroids injection so early in - good move

From now - protect your ears from loud noises for the next 12 months and you have a good chance of a recovery also depending on age

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fabian Arroyo

Fabian Arroyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun shooting
      I just turned 30 and I was complaining I was getting old. I am really hoping I can recover because this experience has been no joke to me. Life is sensitive and can change anytime. Did you go through the same thing? What is your experience? Thanks for replying.

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I got T by shooting large bore rifles and machine guns indoors with inadequate hearing protection - my ears did not feel clogged afterwards but the T was very loud the minute I left the range
      It has dimished a lot 18 months later
      30 is still young you have very good chances of a full recovery especially with the steroids in which I did not get until 2 weeks after

Protect your ears and be patient it will get better

• Like Like x 2
    5. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      I first got tinnitus in my right ear when I fired an army rifle while wearing no ear defenders. I blame the army for that. A whistling stayed with me for about three days and nights but although it went away eventually, unknown to me my high frequency hearing response was down. I was 19 years old then and the hearing loss has stayed with me for over 70 years. I must have got used to the effect on my hearing because it was only in 2016 when I got an inner ear infection in my left ear and went completely deaf in it that I consulted anyone. That's when I discovered what was wrong. I now get tinnitus in both ears.

6. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      Sorry - I'm using this reply slot as an edit, as there is no other edit facility provided. I should have said the hearing loss stayed with me for 61 years. I'm 80 years old now.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fabian Arroyo

Fabian Arroyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun shooting
      I would like to give an update on my case. It has been almost 3 weeks now and my hearing has gotten much better. I am still going through steroid shots weekly and performing hearing test to see if my hearing is still improving or not. Doctor said if improvement stops at one point, then injections will stop as well. I still have tinnitus, but I do not pay much as attention anymore, even though I hear it at times. I will be going back next Monday for another hearing test. I feel much better now, but I know I am not back to normal yet (maybe I'll never be), but being able to hear more clear is certainly a relief. Steroid shots are painful and no joke either, but they are helping, and just like some people has mentioned, the faster we can get them the better. I will update again soon.

• Like Like x 2