Hearing Loss in Left Ear, Tinnitus, and Zap Sensation Before Sleeping

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris Fraser, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Chris Fraser

Chris Fraser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a Virus
      Hello everyone,

I’m unsure if I’m the only soul going through this annoying symptom... when I try to fall asleep, my brain feels like it’s being zapped from the ear with hearing loss all the way up. It’s a really strange feeling and I’ve had it since this whole thing started six months ago. I’ve read that this can be associated with tinnitus but I was wondering if anyone else has gone through it and what they have done to help with this symptom. It sometimes keeps me up at night and I have to be VERY tired not to notice it.

Thank you for your support!

-Chris from British Columbia

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Is the zap just a very high frequency sound, like it is in the bottom, back middle part of your head?

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Is it an actual zapping sound? Those are quite common when drifting off or waking up for us folks. I was getting them for a while.

Or is it loss of hearing/fullness feeling? Maybe when exposed to a lot of noise that day?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Fraser

Chris Fraser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a Virus
      Hey everyone!

Well, it almost feels nerve related. When I lost my hearing six months ago, it was caused by a virus which created swelling in my ear, damaging some key components. Now when I’m tired, the nerves in my ear seem to amplify the sound which may be because of the recruitment in my ear? It only happens when I’m tired or about the fall to sleep...it feels like an electric zap that travels from my ear to my head. I’ve only a few people who have had this happen in relation to hearing loss, so I’m curious to know if anyone has been successful in figuring out this mysterious symptom.