Hearing Protection for Singer Who Wears Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Support' started by sgal, Apr 23, 2015.

1. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Hi all, I started singing with the band at my church this past January. I have a moderate hearing loss and tinnitus and wear hearing aids. This has been the first time I've sung with electric guitars, drums and general amplification. A couple weeks ago, I noticed that I was hearing some tinnitus in my left ear which typically doesn't bother me. No one in the band wears ear plugs or ear monitors to protect their ears other than the drummer so I don't know if the band is really the cause of the new tinnitus I'm experiencing. They all seem to be fine. Of course, I'm wearing hearing aids so my sound experience is amplified anyway. Does anyone know of a way to wear hearing aids and protect against noise at the same time. Normal people would just try some ear plugs or ear monitors but since I wear hearing aids, it's more complicated for me. I hate to stop singing with the band but I can't hurt my hearing more and I'm afraid that I already have.

2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      In ear monitors would be your solution(theyre basically hearing aids with a lot of isolation and you can only hear what's going through the board). Or musicians plugs. (Custom molded plugs with filters). Also take out your aids or turn them off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Thank you for your reply. Sorry I've taken a while to get back here. Your suggestions seem spot on.