Hello — Pulsatile Tinnitus Sufferer from UK Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andy_h, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Andy_h

Andy_h Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi all.

Just stumbled across this forum while doing some research. My PT started in January 2019,, I was going through a stressful time with work (joy of working in sales), which triggered a migraine (which I believe was the cause of my PT). The headaches cleared up but the PT remained. When it first started I went 4 days without sleeping because of the sound, I was unable to not focus on it. I was terrified. I then began taking sleeping tablets to get me to sleep but I then was beginning to feel drowsy during the day so came off them. I worked out away to not focus on the sound when trying sleep and to only lie on my left side, which is helping.
      I had an MRI 6 weeks ago and I am just waiting to hear my results.

I would be interested to know if stress could be the reason for my PT???

Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Stress is a strange one. There is no conclusive evidence that stress can cause tinnitus in general, but tinnitus sometimes starts around the time off stress. But there may be other factors at play, too.

There are probably many differing opinions on the role of stress.

3. sparky71

sparky71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My PT sound s like a fuse on a stick of dynamite fizzing in time with my pulse. It goes louder if I bend my head below my waist and I can get it to change pitch and loudness by pressing various parts of my head/face.
      I'm at the same stage as you are. I got a leaflet from my Tinnitus clinic showing how there is a vicious circle of hearing it, stressing over it, making it more noticeable and so on. So yes stress definitely makes it work. The only thing that takes my mind off it is to do something, anything. Walking, cycling, even washing up does it for me.
      The problem is that you can't be doing something 24 hours a day. When I try to watch the TV, sunbathe, read a book, sleep, I hear it and it has made my life a misery.
      I'm don't know whether I want my MRI scan to come back clear or not. I would be relieved to find a physical reason for it. My Tinnitus clinic appointment is on hold due to the Lockdown, so I'm hoping they can do something for me when it resumes.