Hello Everyone; I Welcome Any Support

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by joe e, Jul 23, 2019.

1. joe e

joe e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, woke up with it
      I first want to say thank you to all the helpful and informative members on this forum!

The short version of my story is that I woke up with a slight buzz in my left ear about 3 months ago. I recall looking around my dark bedroom to see where the noise is coming from; I really didn't understand what was going on at first. No obvious extreme noise history or known cause, of course I theorized about a thousand different things that could have caused it, I guess many are possible, but ultimately I really don't know. Over the coming few weeks, it worsened and changed a lot, and eventually involved my right ear, often to a lesser extent.

I saw an audiologist and an ENT ordered an MRI. Audiologist said hearing normal to 8 kHz and MRI came back negative. ENT experience was as bad as many here have described... uncaring, unhelpful, non-supportive.

At this point it is extremely intrusive and causing tremendous anxiety and depression. It has completely changed my life in a few months.

Please help me with any of these questions:

-Why might my tinnitus change so much, even during a single day? The volume changes, the tone changes. There are layers of sounds, changing which one is dominant during the day. There a zaps, there are beeps, there are sirens... often coming and going seemingly randomly. Some nights it's screaming, some nights it's hissing. It's overwhelming.

-Why might it have gotten so much worse since that first morning? Is there a usual progression to this condition for many people?

-Is it uncommon to be predominantly unilateral?

-One of the sounds in my right ear is completely different than all the others, an intermittent softer flute-like sound that changes slightly when I put air pressure on my ear canal, such as with ear muffs or plugs. Any theories?

Thank you!
      I wish you all well!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are suffering so much with your new tinnitus.
      There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, acoustic neuroma tumor, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

As for why you are having so many sounds and changing, these are the symptoms of a new tinnitus especially there are some issues with the ears like ear fullness, fluid build up, ETD, etc. Acoustic trauma can also cause such shifting symptoms. Don't be too alarmed with this as this is how the tinnitus bully intimidate most of its victims, by creating fear and anxiety about its unpredictable nature seemingly out of control and evolving daily. Such uncertainty casues great stress to the sufferer. This then will keep the limbic nervous system activated causing more intensified sensation to this new 'threat'. If you can locate the cause of your T and have the doctor fixed it, all the better. If not, the best cause of action you can do is to wait it out a bit and remain calm and positive that this phase of the new T will slowly fade out when the ears are more stable. It has happened to a lot of people. Check out the success stories and you will see that you and your symptoms are not alone. People do get better. I list the link to my success story to see if it can help you in some ways to remain more calm and hopeful for the future. Good luck. Take care. God bless.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe e

joe e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, woke up with it
      Thank you billie! Honestly, I'm scared right now. I pray it gets better.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      May I ask if you have a history of over exposure to loud noise?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe e

joe e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, woke up with it
      Hi Contrast! No obvious history that jumps out like concerts or explosions, etc. But I've experienced a lifetime of noises such as the gym, traffic commute, occasional bars and flying...just typical loud stuff. Could it all add up to hearing damage?

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This symptoms of zaps and beeps may suggest TTTS. Google search TTTS and tinnitus to see some linkage between the two. TTTS is treatable like TMJ.

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Maybe but usually there's a dead give away like a history of concerts, loud headphones or motorcycles.

Consult with your doctor about medications that may be ototoxic or anything else that might cause tinnitus or effect hearing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1