Hello from Geneva, Switzerland! :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kgrandchamp, Feb 20, 2017.

1. kgrandchamp
      Curious

kgrandchamp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication (Minocycline) and sound trauma (worked on tarmac)
      Hello All!

I am 65 and retired. I now have time to be myself and delve deeper into my interests! I love nature, biology (BSc in natural sciences from the Open University obtained in 2002 at the ripe age of 52) , the ocean, forests, philosophy, music and... the sound of silence! (haha)

I started first hearing my tinnitus when I was treated for an infection with minocycline in 1981 in the Philippines.

It got much worse after I worked on the tarmac cleaning planes to pay my evening computer programming studies. I have a continuous electronic whistling (not unlike a jet engine) mainly in my left ear around 6000 hz and have a loss of hearing around those frequencies. It changes with the wheather, viruses, but sometimes (rarely) almost goes away.

I found work doing computer support at a medical research department, and I started taking Temesta, a benzodiazepine (Lorazepam), and that helped me overcome the stress of my job, and the tinnitus. I've been taking it almost regularly ever since. withdrawal symptoms increase tinnitus unfortunately!

I also do some sophrology with fellow sufferers here in Geneva, and that helps immensely to decenter oneself from one's ears and permits one to accept and "forget" the ringing.
      I am very happy to have found this group. Wish I could snuff out these nasty ringings magically from all of your ears and minds. As my powers are alas only human, I hope to contribute as best I can.

Have courage, have hope, and trust in science!

Ken :)

• Like Like x 4
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome @kgrandchamp to the forum. What is the difference between sophrology and mindfulness? Since much of our suffering with T is mental, it will be nice to learn how you use sophrology to help tinnitus sufferers. I like your positive stance, especially the last sentence. You are welcome to share some ideas that will help members.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kgrandchamp
      Curious

kgrandchamp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Sunshine!

From my experience, mindfulness, especially the kind derived from Vipassana meditation, has one observing everything that is happening around and inside you. That can be a bit frustrating as I've often spent whole meditation sessions listening blissfully to the swishing and hissing in my ears! Mindfulness does not focus primarily on being calm, peaceful and joyful.
      Sophrology on the other hand is a mix of techniques to calm you - one uses peaceful sounds, ocean waves, wind, etc.. - and suggestions (not unlike guided meditation), aimed to focus your attention away from your ears and elsewhere in the body. There is also a focus on accepting your whole experience (a bit like loving kindness meditation) and accepting your tinnitus benignly and as part of you. The idea is to show that one's life and your experience is more than only the tinnitus.
      I must say I, like all tinnitus sufferers, don't always feel happy. However, I am convinced, having done IT support in a medical research department for years, that we won't be living without cure for tinnitus for very long, when one sees the exponential speed at which science and research finds the causes and remedies to illnesses.

Have a great day everyone!

Sophrology
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophrology

Guided Meditation
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guided_meditation

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hello @kgrandchamp thanks for your story. you mention swishing noises in your ears. Is there a pulsating element to your tinnitus? In time with your heartbeat?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Waiting for a sunny day !!! Don't know how far it will be..

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hi,

How did you get your T ? Was it because of noise exposure or anything else ?

I also really hope that they will find something in the near future...

Best,

Christophe

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Christophe, it was before 4 months I was talking with my friend by useing a earphone. After finished the call I noticed my right ear was ringing badly. I had no idea about tinnitus before I get it. Then after 1 week I feel my T come into left ear and in all over my head. I did MRI as my GP said but there hv nothing abnormal. From the last month I don't listen T in my ears, only always in head like a wind or gas pipe leakage which circling inside all over my head. Really it's like a hell. Everyday several times I login this forum if there hv something to hope! Anyway what's up u ?
      Merci

8. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hi Bidyut,

During the MRI, did the noise bothered you or it was ok ?

I am really afraid of doing one because of the noise...

Yes for me too it's like living in a permanent nightmare...

Can you work and see your friends ? Me I cannot...

Best,

Christophe

9. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      During MRI actually my T was so loud. I informed them abt this ,then they ( who's did mri) given me one headphone for listen music with low volume. So it was nt bothered me extra. I think u should do MRI.
      No I can't working now bcz I m taking sleeping tablet every night. So it's very hard to awake up at morning. First 3 months I was always lonely. I didn't talk with anybody. And now every week maybe 3/4 times I go out with friends for some times. How long u r suffering t?

10. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Yes I would like but my T is very reactive to noises so I am scared to do it even with protections...

That is good if you can see some friends, you go to their places or you can go into restaurants and bars ?

My T and H started in November 2015 but right now I am suffering a lot more than last year...

11. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I understand u bro. Before one month I decided to suicide really. But I remember my parents my wife who's are living very far from me. And I see the success story of this forum, so we should fight ofcourse. My GP is very helpful to me. As I took ginkgo biloba I found some relief. Now I m taking betahistine since 4 days. I think very slowly it working. Pls stay strong . Tomorrow is our worship to god shiva. I wish to pray for u and all friends of this forum. May god bless u.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kgrandchamp
      Curious

kgrandchamp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi AuntSally! No I don't really have a pulsing element to my T. It's mainly a steady high pitched sound like an airplane reactor with an electronic tinge to it, around 6000 hz! I found that out with the online "ACRN Tinnitus protocol" (be careful as the sound is VERy loud) at http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/ .

Have a great day!