Hello from Sin City

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Albert Savage, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      My name is Al and I have suffered from hearing loss and tinnitus since the spring of 1972. I was 19 at the time and in the Army. The damage was done when I was a little too close to a very LOUD boom in a rather confined space. For about a week after my ears rang. The loud ringing subsided, but from then on I would experience a hissing like noise, like an air leak in a high pressure air hose. For most of the time it was just irritating, but at times it could be quite maddening. As I got older the episodes became more frequent and intense.

I continued in the military until the end of 1976 (I was in the Infantry) when I was discharged. A friend of mine who was a medic handed me an audiogram at my discharge. It showed hearing loss over 5 1/2 years.

In 1980 I began my career working for an Electrical Utility where I eventually became a Journeyman Electrical Lineman. Again, frequent exposure to loud noises, including things that go boom and sometimes went boom in confined spaces. Around 2004, my employer called me in and told me that I had hearing loss, and has provided me with hearing aids and supplies ever since. And because I suffer from tinnitus, I am classified as a disabled veteran and draw a small pension from the VA. I have noticed that the episodes of hissing has lessened after I started wearing hearing aids.

And now, after having ever increasing hearing loss, my Lovely Bride of over 40 years has encouraged me to seek out a support group like this and so here I am.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hello Albert. Welcome! I like how you address your missus in the last sentence. :)

I just wonder how loud is your hissing? Is your hissing a constant 24-7 sound or just episodic? Does your hissing increase in volume as the hearing loss become more profound?

3. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I have Tinnitus since past 3 months. First month I had a loud Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt in my left ear and air leak sound in right ear.
      The loud Tttttttttttttttt from left ear is gone and its more like your condition... whoosh sound in both ears.. 24/7

I can finally sleep on my own. Only meds I take are vitamins and NAC.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      Ricky & Shan, as my hearing decreased, the sounds did increase. Also, exposure to loud noises, like heavy trucks or the occasional explosions when a transformer fuse blows or when high voltage wires slapped together made the noises more profound. Since I started wearing HA's my tinnitus has lessened. Now it only occurs occasionally and is very mild when it happens. And it usually happens more frequently when I'm tired or have been in a noisy environment such as an open type eatery or bar.