Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Benji, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Benji

Benji Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, I'm Ben from London. I've had T since 1994. Have learned to live with it. It
      still bothers me though!! It feels great to talk about it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi Benji,

Welcome to TT. On your 20th Anniversary year it's nice to hear you are living with it even though it still bothers you. Have you had much understanding in that time from others?

I never could find the switch to be totally not bothered by it either.

Steve

• Like Like x 2
    3. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Benji,you've had it fair old time ,like a fair few of us on TT ,like yourself I still have problems dealing with it .
      Hope you've had a good wander through the threads,good reading if you have hey .
      Glad you've joined but sad you to have this .
      Best wishes keep looking ,and posting when you can ,always good to hear others take on T .

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benji

Benji Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello Steve,

Thanks for the welcome. Initially I bothered telling people about having it, but most didn't understand so I stopped making it an issue as I felt a freak and stupid for having bothered in the first place. It isn't yet a big issue here in the UK, do most just get on with it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benji

Benji Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      :::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
      Hi Marlene. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm glad to have found this site. I now can talk about it without feeling sheepish. TT is pretty much a non issue here in the UK as far as I know!

6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Yeah I had the same thing when I got mine, people didn't have a clue what I was going on about.

You do feel pretty stupid, especially when you try and tell people you can't go clubbing or anywhere loud because it'll hurt your ears or make it spike.

I find now though that a lot more people get it in the UK (still not loads, but more), maybe it's just that I'm more forthright and not afraid to tell people about it in a matter-of-fact way.

Steve

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benji

Benji Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      -----------------/////
      I agree Steve. More people are now being honest about having it. My older brother now has it and was surprised when I said I had it as well. I told him years ago only he couldn't hear it. Lol.

8. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Benji ,I only knew 1 person with it ,that was my husband ,in fact it was him that told me I had T ,not a dr ,soon as I mentioned this noise in my ears ,he said you've got Tinnitus ( he's had it 30 yrs now ) .
      Now I know loads. Even within my immediate family ,I was gobsmacked to say the least ,then friends and acquaint ants ,told me they had it. To which I never knew .
      Think people who suffer depression and anxiety ,you would never know,it's not a badge any of us wear to make others aware,not on our foreheads either .
      Think the more we tell people ,it's got to help us suffering in the long run . Shout out about it .I do .
      Think the work place is where lots with T have a hard time of it . Peoples are ignorant when it's not affecting them ,but can be them tomorrow ,oh so easily .

• Agree Agree x 1