Hello! I'm New Here.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GSC, Feb 23, 2019.

1. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I've recently developed tinnitus after a house alarm went right off by my ear unprompted. I'm pretty sure I have it because of acoustic trauma and hearing loss at 8000 Hz left ear, with maybe hearing loss even higher in right and left, because musical sounds from far away sound like the pitch tones. Like the energy coming back is just high pitched and beeping.

It's hard to come to terms with something like this, it's been nearly two weeks, but I know I'm suffering from NIHL, because one of the audiogram tests online. I just have to get used to this... in some way and I need support. I've told my whole family about it and they brush it off. My family physician also has tinnitus from a dentist drilling, but he's telling me you will get used to it. Which I don't want to, but I know I have to, because we're not exactly the richest bunch. Kind of on the poor end. It really sucks, but I find comfort and peace and solace from not being alone.

I've been reading all of your posts and the anxiety ebbs away and peace comes in, because I know there are people like me who have to go through this. Very strong-willed and thriving people who have their good days, who have their bad days, who have been suffering way longer than me and are doing this, and it gives me so much hope. I want to thank all of you for that. That even if it sucks, there possibly can be a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Hug Hug x 10
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      if you have hearing loss at 8 kHz, most likely more damage exist above that such as frequencies that are not tested by standard test.

Hearing loss in complex environments such as a noisy bar, or music is not the same type of hearing loss as the quietest tonal noise one can hear. Audiograms fail to test for this so called "hidden hearing loss". Virtually all cases of tinnitus are linked to a hearing deficit whether the sufferer acknowledges it or not.

Do you have noise induced pain, sensitive hearing or notice certain sound are abnormally loud? This is commonly referred to as hyperacusis, but hyperacusis in itself is not a real medical term but rather a loose word for at least two separate conditions I described above. Research on why noise causes pain, internal amplification of volume is literally in the process of happening now, until more info comes in sufferers are kinda hopeless. I seriously hope you don't have this affliction with tinnitus.

Have you tried any supplements for tinnitus, beware their are are plethora of scams and snake oil the only thing I recommend is magnesium and melatonin which are over the counter and cheap

The people who present the most will power are suffering a lot and just are ashamed to admit it due to cultural norms that deem despair from chronic suffering to be a bad thing, there's nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself just try to be productive while feeling sorry for yourself like I do. :D

Finally please protect your hearing, avoid sounds above 80db and do not use headphones for now.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Yeah, I read about that. I'm suppose to be having an apt with an ENT soon to just confirm it and such since the link of this place shows I do in the left ear. Haha! https://hearingtest.online/ I haven't tried any supplements at all. I don't really know what supplements to take, but I have taken melatonin before and have some on hand for when sleepless nights come from anxiety since I suffer from a lot of other health issues.

I really appreciate you sending me this message, and I thank you for it. I will protect my hearing. Of course. I've always had. Bad luck is just on my side it seems. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @GSC Also check out the post below. There is reason to be hopeful

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Thank you again for all the resources. I read through everything and now I know what tests and other things I should avoid from my upcoming ENT APPT. >:3 A life saver.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Hi there, fellow newbie. So sorry for your (hearing) loss. It sucks. Hopefully yours will fade or even disappear.

This forum is a good resource for tinnitus sufferers. :welcomesignanimation:

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Hello! Here's to hoping. I'm still very early in my onset, so here's to hoping and praying. Thank you for the welcome!! You guys are all so nice. HAHA.

12. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am glad that is a takeaway from your interactions so far.

Should your head-noise not recede, you will find a place here among us.
      Even though there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, we would ask you to stay vocal.

Do not keep your suffering secret.

• Genius Genius x 1
    13. Mitchel

Mitchel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Howdy, like you I'm new. Just two weeks. Tinnitus came out of nowhere overnight. Both ears. And I already have my Iron Maiden tickets for September!! :meh: Best of luck.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      My family is very rude about it and say I'm tripping, but I will try. I'm holding strong even with the lack of sleep. :notworthy:

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      You too! If you attend, be safe! Take breaks in the bathroom every now and then, be cautious. Here's to the both of us! :couchpotato::huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    16. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      By the gods...
      Show them this:
      Tinnitus: Ringing in the Brain | Josef...

Tinnitus has to be taken seriously.

17. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Sorry for your T onset. I love what you wrote, as you are able to see beyond the mere T to the things, including community, that make up life.

[QUOTE
      It really sucks, but I find comfort and peace and solace from not being alone.

I've been reading all of your posts and the anxiety ebbs away and peace comes in, because I know there are people like me who have to go through this.
      [/QUOTE]

My standard instruction for NIHL would be to see and ENT to get prednisone prescribed, and mine first required a test by an audiologist. If you cannot see a Dr, then consider using NAC and magnesium. Look these up.

Fwiw, I'm about at the one year point and can say you will find your journey requires a lot of you. I hope quieting happens soon.

• Hug Hug x 1