Hello! I'm New to These Forums and I Have Had Tinnitus for a Little While Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joltron, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Joltron
      Cool

Joltron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/earwax/optical migraine
      Hello my name is Joltron and I have had tinnitus since March 3, 2019.

I literally got it on national hearing day and I believe it was caused by earphones because a song I was listening to spiked for a second and then went back down. I am only 18 years old and I have seen two doctors.

The first one said that it should go away within a week obviously that did not happen, the second one I visited two months later and he said that it's caused by a optical migraine.

BTW the ringing is only in my right ear and the doctor said the migraine was effecting my right eye which could be why my right ear rings. But I seriously thought it was from my earphones because literally the next day my ear was ringing from the spike in the right earphones. So I am not sure exactly what it is.

But do you guys think my tinnitus will heal? I mainly hear it when it's really silent or sometimes when it's somewhat silent, and it changes depending on what I am doing or if I am in a loud environment.

I have another question, today someone yelled in my house which kinda made my eardrum vibrate a little, will that do anything bad to my tinnitus? I'm just trying to give my ears as much time to heal as possible.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long paragraph and I appreciate the support, I hope you guys will heal too!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Has it faded compared to how it was two months ago?
      Does the above mean that you continue to use earphones?
      To maximize the chance of it healing and not returning, consider avoiding loud environments. If you have to be in such an environment, make sure to wear good earplugs (e.g. 3M 1100).
      The above means that the damage you've done was minimal. If you don't harm your ears again, you ought to be ok. It can get very bad. For some people here it is as loud as a drill, and they've had it at that level for years. It is possible that you are now more vulnerable than you used to be. Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joltron
      Cool

Joltron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have hardly been using headphones ever since T. Even when I do use them, it's at a very quiet volume now. I believe my tinnitus has faded, but sometimes it spikes when I was doing a physical activity or when I am stressed, but when I relax it goes back down to like a hissing noise. It also goes down when I don't focus on it. I'm just worried because my sister yelled in my house and it was loud.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. If you can't get your sister to stop yelling, you can try to wear musician ear plugs so you can still hear but they block out the high ranges. I agree with Bill that your T seems to be the mild type. Any time when you only hear it in silence or quiet places, then it suggests mildness and you can take steps to protect your ears to avoid making your T worse such as going to loud venues.

For exercises that can aggravate your T, generally exercises are good for us and our T as it tends to unwind tension and stress off the body. But certain types of exercises can cause issues to the inner ears (if the ears are in unstable state). Check this site out talking about what types of exercises to avoid and what types are good. Good luck. God bless.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/308626-exercises-that-worsen-tinnitus/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joltron
      Cool

Joltron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the support guys! I hope T will go away soon. I have been trying to avoid loud places as much as possible. But thanks again for the support.

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      This is noise induced T, and often takes months to go away. Toss the earbuds and headphones in the garbage as they will only cause more problems. Listen to music and TV only via speakers, and at lower volumes. Use earplugs for any and all noise exposures, including the vacuum, paper shredder, lawn mower, etc.

I hope you have a quiet job.

Avoid clubs and rock concerts like your life depends on it.

Download a db app to your phone, and use hearing protection if the db exceed 80 db at this point. Add ear muffs if it exceeds 90 db for a sustained period.

Most likely this will improve, or even go away, but important to stick with this as it is very easy to expose to more noise and make it worse.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joltron
      Cool

Joltron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Digital Doc! I'm actually on summer vacation from school right now so I'll try to avoid loud environments. I'm in my room right now and I can barely hear my tinnitus even while typing this. Interestingly, I downloaded a dB app to my phone and I put my earphones right next to the mic and it said it was only 35 db or so. But I'm still not going to use headphones for a while. I believe my tinnitus has reduced tremendously compared to when it started. I feel much better now.

I have a question though, when I am taking a shower sometimes I will get water in my ear to clean it, does that aggravate tinnitus? I'm just curious because I want to do as much as I can to let my ears heal. Thanks everyone for reading this long paragraph and thank you for the support.