Hello! My Tinnitus Might Have Come from My Time in the Air Force and Jet Engines, or from Loud Music

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Becca, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Becca

Becca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, all. I have been struggling with tinnitus for years. I put a number in the questions about how long it has been happening, but I really don't even remember when it started.

I assume it came from my time in the Air Force when my shop was right by the jet engine testing area coupled with years of listening to music too loudly. Mine is super high-pitched, constant, and has resulted in upper register hearing loss.

Dealing with this is enough to make me nuts, but I have found that white noise helps, as does the ability to concentrate wholly on something else. It doesn't always work, but it helps. I can hear it right now, though, so I know sleep medication is in my near future.

This thing sucks rocks. I'm glad to have found Tinnitus Talk, as I need someone who understands tinnitus with whom to talk sometimes. Trying to describe it to people who don't have it makes me want to smack my head on the nearest desk.

Anyway, I look forward to interacting with all of you and have a lovely evening!

Becca

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Becca,

Lovely to meet you.

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

And yes, you are surrounded by a caring community here, who all understand how hard this is.

Have you perused the Research News section? Tinnitus Talk Podcast? They give me hope.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. SadMan
      Tired

SadMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Becca. For sleep problems, I turn on the radio in the evening. Looks like it works. I do not turn up the volume too much and do not use headphones.

I'm no longer fighting my tinnitus. I'm learning to live with it.