Hello. New Here. Suffering from Tinnitus for 2 Weeks — Triggered by Noise Exposure.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rb86, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello all.

I'm 33. I've been suffering from tinnitus for essentially 2 weeks now and could use some positivity and guidance.

I have been exposed to various loud noise through life but rarely anything terrible. I was a working musician in my younger days. Now I do automotive work and recently got into sheet metal shaping/hammering.

May 15th I unfortunately hammered on some metal without protection. The following day my hearing was a little muffled. That weekend my wife and I went to the mountains. My hearing was mostly fine but mildly bothered. On the way home on the 19th my ear popped and I could hear fully normal again.

The following day I had to use an air nail gun and didn't use protection. The next day I developed a bit of a warbly low end tinnitus that would come and go.

I went to the ENT doctor who ran tests and determined mild hearing loss in my left ear at the 6000 Hz range. That was may 31. I was told to try Flonase and pop my ears 20-30 times a day if I suspected any clogging because that makes tinnitus worse. That evening it was the worst of my life. Couldn't sleep couldn't do anything but cry.

At my request, we did a course of Prednisone for one week, followed by another course for one week.

I have tracked my symptoms and found it interesting. Roughly every 3 days my tinnitus has changed. What started low began to work higher and higher every few days. 8000, to 10,000, 12, all the way to 15,000 Hz. Following 15,000 Hz it turned into an almost airy sound in my neck. It has remained there for 4 days now. I again went to the mountains and had a pop and it seemed helpful.

I occasionally now get very subtle low end warbles in my left ear (mainly when inside). What's interesting is that goes away if I plug my ear (the 15,000 airy one is in both ears and does not).

I have been taking Benadryl every night to sleep as well as magnesium citrate. Last night I developed a tone around 930-960 Hz in addition to the rest.

Today is my last day of Prednisone and I feel so much emotion. From the 31 of May to today the 13 is about 2 weeks.

I have followed with the ENT who isn't much help but thinks these changes have been positive and feels will subside with more time. I have been praying, in tears at times, and a basket case. Nothing online reflects my same experience in changes and many are negative.

Can anyone offer insight?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      You're doing all that you can, but the best thing to do is to rest your ears and give them some time to try to overcome the damage you put them through. It might take awhile, who knows, so you need to be vigilant. This means avoiding loud noises, and sometimes, moderate ones. Your ears will be your guide in telling you what sounds and frequencies bother them, so it's in your best interest to listen to them.

Take a breaaaaaaak from the powertools, the nail gun. Some people use double protection in the form of muffs and ear plugs, but the best hail mary for tinnitus IS AVOIDANCE of loud and uncomfortable noises. Take some magnesium glycinate, or chelated magnesium that has the highest absorption. Take some NAC to protect what hearing you have left; these two things have been the most helpful for me.

Anyway, onto the moderate noises that you should be mindful and protective over - at best - with muffs, or briefly covering your ears: door slamming, vacuums, people yelling, dog barks, washer, driers, blow dryers, hair clippers, garbage disposals, baby crying and screams, dishes clattering too hard - are some of the few I can name at the top of my head. Consider having someone disable your smoke alarms or fire alarms if you have any. Don't press your ear to your phone for the time being, speak and communicate through a speaker phone where the volume is set to a minimum you can still understand and decipher. I hope this goes away for you, I really, truly do; so give it your best in being protective of your hearing for now on. Even if your tinnitus goes away, ear plugs, ear plugs, ear plugs - they are now your best friend.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. punkaddict
      Cynical

punkaddict Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Self-syringing (I think?)
      Hey, I'm also a fairly new sufferer of 3 months. I got mine from a very unlucky case of self-syringing and the regret is immense. You should be glad you got to get to ENT so promptly (still awaiting mine at the end of this month :unsure:) and they got you prednisone quickly, I've heard it has a good effect on recovery chances. You've done what's needed so I just suggest waiting a month or two and monitor and improvement/reduction.

If it stays consistent, I'd suggest trying a course of HBOT if it's available and economically viable, I'm about to do my 5th session but haven't really seen much improvement. That's not to say you won't, yours is still very acute and apparently works well along with steroid treatment.

Have you noticed any reduction at all so far?

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks all. I've purchased ear protection and worn it religiously. Also avoided all loud noise wherever possible.

I definitely have some hyper-acusis.... especially with multiple sounds going on. Restaurants are overwhelming for me. My wife turning on the shower is bothersome. But I recognize I need to reintroduce "some" noise rather than sit in silence because that can make it worse.

We have to attend a wedding as well as an anniversary party over the next 3 days which I'm nervous about. I'll bring earplugs and leave early if need be. My wife is supportive. We're both emotionally exhausted from this.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Considering the first day was a loud warble in my left ear compared to now which is mostly a hiss (although other tones come out from time to time) I'd say I've had a positive change over the 2 week time frame. It has slowed however and sometimes its worse than others. Lastnight I took benedryl at 9 then again at 3 am with the white noise machine to sleep. It's a challenge. But I'm praying and hoping to continue to heal

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      how is flonase going to help ear fullness caused by damage?

Resting ones ears and an ocassional magnesium supplement is my choice if I am accidentally exposed to very loud noise.

7. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Hi, I'd add, that you should not spend much time "tracking" your tinnitus. Virtually everybody with Tinnitus Distress does this at first, and it's not a good idea. The fact that your tinnitus seems unique is not unusual. It is very difficult not to focus on it, especially random tones that may pop up, but please try. As you are very new to this, I'm hesitant to recommend any sources of self-help information at this point, since your condition may resolve itself soon, as your ENT says.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. rmnkby

rmnkby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec-12, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      My noise trauma was 6 months ago which left me with mild tinnitus today. My first month was an absolute nightmare, I had never been so depressed before. I wasn't eating, had to use sleeping aid (not because of the loudness of the sound, but because of my reaction to it), constantly searching forums, etc. I had multiple sounds, high pitch + screeching sound, occasionally I'd hear a third sound and panic even more thinking that it's getting worse instead of better.
      Today, the level of tinnitus is lower, but not completely gone. It almost always gets better in the first few months, and then settles I think. However, I sleep better than ever, still sleep with silicone ear plugs (even though they amplify the ringing, I care so little that it doesn't affect me) And the only impact on my life right now is that I'm paranoid about making it worse and extra protective of my ears, which is probably a good thing.
      My suggestions:
      1- It's normal to feel down and sad about this, but don't worry about the distant future too much.
      2- Know that it will get better both in terms of loudness, and in terms of you caring. I think almost every mild sufferer eventually reaches my state of not caring about it. (I found that at least 5 other people in my friend group had this condition, which I had no idea about, because it's completely negligible to them)
      3- In the meanwhile try to focus on other things like hobbies and work.

The day that you don't care about this at all will come sooner than you think.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you for the responses they mean a lot to me.

I'd like to add....after general noise exposure like just now cooking with the exhaust fan on....walking into a silent room upstairs after exposure wipes out any tone and sounds just mainly like a hiss or air. It is the most tolerable sound I've encountered thus far. I am encouraged by you all, especially only being 2 weeks in. Thank you and please still comment your experiences, they mean a lot.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Gosh, right now the low end in my left ear is just pulsing - randomly though. Not pulsatile. Driving me crazy

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Don't worry, chances are you are not going to be stuck for the rest of your life with the sound that you are hearing now. It is reasonable to expect that your T will begin to fade and will eventually (can take 6-24 months, ears take forever to heal) either be gone or get to the "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage.

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

12. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Well, I feel you pain. I am stuck with a similar T noise and hyperacusis that you are dealing with. I never leave home without my ear plugs at the ready. Since this is pretty new to you, I suspect that your T will continue to change a bit, most likely for the better if you continue to protect your ears. I also suspect that you will ultimately be left with some degree of remaining tinnitus. If it's any consolation, from what you describe, I am dealing with T, hyperacusis, and hearing loss (100% in right ear) that is a bit worse that yourself, and after going through a period of intense despair and even a dose of panic,....I am adjusting to the "new me", and learning to live with it. Somebody said "ear plugs" are your best friend. Well, "time" is also one of those good friends. Your situation may completely clear up in the next few weeks, but you also need to prepare yourself for if it doesn't. Hoping for the best for you, whether you get relief from T/H or if you don't. Stay in touch.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well it's July 14. A month since I posted and 6 weeks in from onset.

Pretty much the same symptoms. Sleep has gotten harder so I started trazodone. Helps a little but not enough.

The hiss varies in volume but I have had quieter days with it.

The low end is what's most bothersome inside. Just a faint distant boom. Random rhythm.

14. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Rb86

You're making good progress. The fact that the tone has changed to a hiss, and you can bear it, so quickly is excellent news. Keep protecting your ears from loud noises so they have a chance to heal.

I get a warbly noise once in a while, and for me, it's usually when I've been exposed to too much noise. I'm hoping my, and your, warbly noise go away with time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @New Guy Thanks so much for the positive note. I REALLY appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Rb86 -- Benadryl is an anticholinergic drug, which can be ototoxic for some people. If you're still taking it, I'd advise you to take a look at whether it could be contributing to your ongoing tinnitus to some degree.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks Lane... I got off it a couple weeks back, used melatonin for a while but was getting derailed in life, so now I'm giving trazodone a shot. Antidepressant and sleep aid in one.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I wake up every time hoping for change and it doesn't come. 2 months, and 2 days in...

I could cry the moment I wake up. I am so terribly tired, scared and angry.

19. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Do you get support from your wife? I hope she gets your pain.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Absolutely. I feel bad for her honestly, having to put up with me. But she is very understanding.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Saw my old thread here... to update:

It's been 3 months. The low end warble is reduced considerably, to near nothing in most cases. The high hiss is still there and frustrating me.

I do sleep better. I would liken my sound to what another poster called sand being poured on glass. It's a hiss with a faint high pitched ring to it.

22. Coldinhere

Coldinhere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Close proximity to fire alarm
      @Rb86

Hi,

How are things now?

Cheers

Steve

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well... I'm awake listening to the warbly low end. It's been a year. That part comes and goes. I still get the occasional ear clogging. The low end thing is quieter than the early days. The high end is still mainly a hiss. I have had the random hour or two where I just about hear silence.

I deal with it much better as there's less of an emotional response, and a little less fear. But I still am here, I still follow the drug studies and I still long for honest silence.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Coldinhere

Coldinhere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Close proximity to fire alarm
      Ok thanks for the reply.

Do you find you pretty much forget about it now or does it still occupy your mind constantly?

I've started feeling a tingling, tightening sensation on my head recently, did you have any physical symptoms?

Thanks

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Honestly it depends on a lot. Yes, I can go hours without thinking about it during the day if I'm busy enough, have had proper rest and eating. If I didn't sleep well, or am stressed, it tends to bother me more and will be more noticeable. Or it will compound with other stresses and seem worse.

I find a hot bath at night helps calm it down. Basically hang out in the tub and zone out on my phone for a while. It helps.

As for physical things I still get ear clogging and ear pain. But it varies.

A lot of my experience basically is through time and lowering the fear response. Trust me, it still sucks. But, I guess what gets me through is I know how much it varies, so if it's bothering me particularly one day, I know there will be better days ahead when it's not bothering me much. That and the fact they're working on a cure. That's what gets me through.

Get distracted in your work, eat and sleep as well as possible, and have patience. Tinnitus sucks, but it varies enough (for me) that if I have a bad week I know there will be a good one around the corner.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Rb86 hi, how did you get your tinnitus? I’m almost 4 months in and completely losing it. I can’t believe I have this.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Loud noise. Hammering sheet metal and a nail gun. But I also was a musician for many years. I'm 34 now. I also struggle greatly. But I have good times as well, where it's not so up front and center. I'm sorry you're living with this too. It sucks and many times I can't believe it either. Just know that others have had theirs go away after all kinds of time intervals. 6 months, a year, 2 years, 4 years. Everything. I hold out for that and also the fact that real money is being invested in a cure because this problem is starting to gain traction in the pharmaceutical world.

• Like Like x 2
    28. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m struggling. I wake up every day and realize it’s another day in hell. I can’t even look at old pictures and believe this is now my life.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Same.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Been working in a noisier than usual environment over the past few days. I do various jobs in auto restoration and that can involve metal fabrication. Cutting, grinding and welding.

I generally use those 3 tiered bubbley looking ear plugs and those are great for quick in and out needs. I don't leave home without them ever.

Well, as I said it was a particularly loud and long day of wearing them. Next morning I woke up and had perhaps the first really serious spike of my tinnitus journey of nearly 2 years... early days were extreme, but anyway, this was a very real and very scary spike. I could hear it over the shower which is highly rare for me. Got really really nervous.

Next two days I've worn foam ear plugs and have had a pretty strong return to baseline, I'd say 90 percent there... hoping it'll improve more over the coming days.

Just wanted people to know, if you know you're going to be in a real noisy environment - the 33 dB foam plugs are good. This brand is macks. Orange in color. Twist in your fingers, pull up ear and slide in. Foam expands and closes off noise good. Makes your Tinnitus much louder but that goes away once removed.

Ear muffs weren't an option as I wear a welding helmet.

Anyway. Hope this helps someone.

• Like Like x 1