Hello, Tinnitus from Loud Headphones and/or Being in a Noisy Rock Band

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JamieC, Jun 14, 2020.

1. JamieC

JamieC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus. Band practice.
      Hi all. This is my first post so a little background. My tinnitus started December 2019. Had a cold so possibly virus. Luckily I'm healthy so almost never have to see a doctor. Anyway tinnitus started about 3 days after having a bad cold. January was the most stressful month of my life, I didn't know how I was going to cope with it, had dreams about suicide and loads of awful thoughts! I think my tinnitus is from loud music in headphones for decades. Also started in a noisy rock band in Sept which I guess is the main reason.

Doctor checked ears and was told ear was impacted with wax so had olive oil drops and nasal spray. Neither did anything. 2nd doctor same questions and answers but got him to do a blood test. I thought i might be anemic as had no energy and my ears felt full. Bloods came back ok. He referred me to ENT but waiting list was 8 months! With lockdown no idea when I'll get to see the ENT. I had a free hearing test and was told hearing normal but couldn't see past the wax to check my ears properly.

Went to a private clinic, they cleared my right ear of compacted earwax but found nothing in my left ear which was odd. After about a week I noticed tinnitus had reduced in my right ear only. My tinnitus has a slight ringing sound to it which I don't notice if I'm busy and have the radio on. When it spikes it changes to a hiss which I find unbearable and just have to wait for it to go away which is usually about 24 hours.

I've read on the forum about different diets so thought I'd try changing my diet. My diet is quite healthy, lots of fruit and veg, some meat, rarely fatty foods, drink lots of water etc. I try and cycle a lot.
      I don't drink coffee only tea which doesn't have much caffeine so tried decaf free for 2 months but made no difference. Tried dairy free for a week which was a total pain but also made no difference. I'm currently on my 2nd attempt at gluten free. This is not too difficult as I make my own bread. Breakfast cereals are more expensive but I'm willing to pay anything to make this god awful noise to go away!

Not sure if the gluten free is working, very difficult to tell to be honest. I can safely say alcohol affects it so given up wine and whiskey much to my annoyance!! Beer and cider seem to be ok.

I can only be thankful that it's summer so I can sit outside and have the windows open etc which helps with masking. I've tried a few masking apps. I have no idea how to find out what frequency it is. I tried an app but I couldn't figure it out. Also I don't want to become reliant on them. It will just be something else I have to worry about i.e. is my phone charged, are my headphones charged every time I go out.

Just today reading on here about people's experience with turmeric supplements so I guess that's my next avenue to explore.

Anyway that's it. Thanks for reading. Any advice you can give will be very much appreciated.

J

• Like Like x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @JamieC

The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. Typically, it is listening to music through headphones at too high a volume and for long durations. Attending clubs, concerts where loud music is played can cause it too and also playing music in a band.

Tinnitus can be caused by other things too including a cold and virus you mention as well as an underlying medical condition with your auditory system. However, since you have history of headphone use and playing music in a band, I think this is what you need to focus on. Therefore, I advise you not to use headphones even at low volume as you risk making the tinnitus worse. Similarly, I would stop playing music in your band for a while, perhaps 3 months until the tinnitus improves. My suggestions are just advice and it's what I would do if I were in your situation. Please click on the links below and read my posts which you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JamieC

JamieC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus. Band practice.
      Hi Michael thanks for the reply. I haven’t had headphones in for about 2 months and the band has ended anyway due to lockdown. I think my left ear has become far more sensitive since T started I’m very aware of noise. When I go cycling I wear filtered ear plugs due to the wind. I’ll have a read through the posts. Thanks

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @JamieC

I suspect your tinnitus has been present for some time but at a low level until it become full-blown as you know it now. Your oversensitivity to sound is an indication of hyperacusis which often accompanies noise induced tinnitus. Please read my post in the link: Hyperacusis, As I see it. Even though you haven't used headphones for two months, I believe your tinnitus is noise induced and has been coming on for some time. Please read my articles and I advise you again, not to use headphones even at low volume.

Best of luck
      Michael