Hello... Tinnitus is driving me crazy... maybe help on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blunto, May 21, 2014.

1. Blunto

Blunto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      :welcomesignanimation:I've had Tinnitus for about 2 years now. At first, it was just intermittent... it hit me a couple times a week for only 5 to 10 minutes at a clip. Then around the beginning of 2013, I believe I know the event that triggered the full blown constant loud ringing. Before that I had been taking Cymbalta (60mg) for about 3 and half years for Fibromyalgia type pain. My doctor never told me about the side effects and the problems associated with discontinuation syndrome and the need to taper very slowly!
      I had run out of the presciption and thought maybe now that I was working out again and feeling better that I would go without it and see what happens. BIG MISTAKE! After a week, all the aches and pains came back like a vengeance plus some I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Namely severe headaches, vertigo, neck pain, brain zaps, and Tinnitus all the time. My Doctor then told me you can't just stop taking cymbalta cold turkey and put me on a tapered dose. I'm finally off this evil drug completely now for 29 days and starting to feel a little better. The brain zaps (zings), headaches, neck pain are subsiding somewhat, however the tinnitus is worse than ever. I have tried almost everything but nothing has helped so far but I am hopeful that there is help on the horizon.
      I'm not sure exactly what caused my Tinnitus but I have my theories. Mostly I think it's from Ototoxicity
      from all the drugs I've taken for pain (e.g. Cymbalta, NSAIDS). This caused slight Sensorineural hearing loss in the upper frequencies as well as damage to neurons and neurotransmitters in the brain (Excitotoxicity). An increase in the amount of excitatory neurotransmitters, NMDA (chemicals, i.e. glutamate that cause the nerve cells to be more active) or a decrease in the amount of inhibitory neurotransmitters, GABA (chemicals that decrease the activity of nerve cells) or a combination of both could be responsible for the abnormal neural activity that is perceived as tinnitus.
      Recently I am giving this drug called Acomprosate a try... day 8 now and so far no big improvement but I will let you know. I figured it is worth a shot since very little side effects and the Brazillian and India study looked promising.
      Other treatments or cures such as AM-101 Auris medical and Vagus nerve stimualtion developed by MicroTransponder look promising as well but are still in clinical trials and not approved by FDA but hopefully soon!
      Tinnitus has been driving me crazy and is very debilitating, however I believe there is hope and I'm determined to find a cure.

• Like Like x 1
    2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hello Blunto.
      Sorry to read your suffering from Tinnitus. I have it too. Your up on some info, as you stated. I complained to my doctor and she said, "So", as in so-what. I can see the crazy part, but debilitating? naaa, don't go that far. Yeah, find a cure. In the mean time, lets just keep living our lives the best we can. Welcome to this forum. I hope you find it a good place.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blunto

Blunto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Thanks James for the reply,
      I have already found this forum to be "a good place". It will help myself and others understand and deal with this ringing nightmare. I'm sure there is a cure on the horizon for many people and look forward in hearing about the success stories!
      Just to give an update on Acamprosate.... It has been 2 weeks on 333mg 3x day and maybe tamed the loudness a little bit no big improvement yet :-(