Help and Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nevergrowup, May 5, 2017.

1. Nevergrowup

Nevergrowup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys I joined this is desperate need off help and advice I'm not suffering from tinnitus but my dearest father is and this past 2 weeks I've seen a strong independent man turn into a lifeless depressed soul it's all new to him and the screeching in his ears is getting worst.

I'm literally at wits end and I was hoping to get some advice and help on how you guys cope with you're day to day routine whilst carrying out with tinnitus.

It's got him to the point where his becoming very suicidal.

Thanks for reading all advice would be appreciated

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes, it's quite a common reaction. Has he gone to the doctor to get a diagnosis/root cause?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nevergrowup

Nevergrowup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah we had to go private as to hoping it would speed some progress up waiting for MRI results next week as they think it may be a growth as it literally came over night.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Did he do a hearing test? Is there any hearing loss noted there? Did he do any fork test?
      Is his T only in one ear or both? If in both it would be surprising if it's a growth or vestibular schwanomma (acoustic neuroma), but an MRI doesn't really hurt to have so let's see if that sheds any light.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nevergrowup

Nevergrowup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They said in the near future he will need a hearing aid as his left ear was down a bit. It's stronger in his left ear then his right if that makes sense. We're trying everything to keep him occupied but it seems to be worst at night

6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      How far down was the left?

7. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi. Sounds like your dad should see the family doctor and ask for a SSRI agent for the depression/anxiety as well as something that will help him sleep. Good luck!

8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Jeez. That sucks, you father is shocked that such a thing does exist. It sounds like, it is a new case of tinnitus and it might be a mild/low hiss tone situation. I would just tell him to relax and don't panic. He is used to having total silence and not having noises in his head. This takes time to adjust, just help him distract himself from the tinnitus and not focus on it 24 7. Not try to listen to it and try to listen to it. He can possible mask it by listening to soothing sounds like showers, waterfalls.

He just needs to relax and slowly cope..It can be done...

9. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @Nevergrowup,
      Welcome to the forum. Most of us have been in the same emotional state your dad is in right now. New tinnitus activates the "fight or flight" response in the body. This is a normal, physical response but it is temporary. The feelings of intense fear and anxiety will settle down after some time passes. Please tell your dad that we are pulling for him. He is definitely not alone.