Help, I Don't Know What to Do — What Is Causing My Ringing Issues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sophia S., Aug 18, 2017.

1. Sophia S.

Sophia S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was smacked in the ear
      Hi, I've just joined this website and I'm 14 years of age. As a 14 year girl, it's been hard to come to terms with the fact that I may actually have a problem. When I was 8 years old I was smacked on the side of my head, right over my ear and immediately heard a ringing noise in my right ear only. Ever since then I'd have that ringing noise in my ear about once a month. Sometimes twice. I thought it was just normal growing up until about 12 when I said "well... this isn't right... no one else in my school has this problem."

I have outstanding hearing besides that, I can hear people's conversations from across the street and I live in a city. But I've always had the ringing. This year, 2017, sometimes, still once a month, both ears would ring instead of just one, but in the past few months I've noticed sometimes it sounds like I'm underwater. It lasts for about a minute or two, and usually happens when I've had an existing headache, and under a lot of stress or like a typical teenager, haven't slept for about an entire day. I came on this site tonight because I was on my computer, my eyes were tired, I had a headache and I'd been being loud all day while playing video games with friends.

Just moments ago I'd left computer and went to my room to do a few exercises because I usually go to the gym everyday and today I'd forgotten to do so. After doing a few sets of squats or push-ups I sat on my bed and instead of ringing it felt like I was under water. Everything was muffled and I was kind of scared and pissed at the same time.

I'm asking you all What should I do? What do you think is causing my ringing issues : stress (I.e school or working out) headaches or being tired? I also want to know who I should go to about this problem besides my parents! This is very scary for a 14 year old girl to go through, please be mindful of this while posting answers! Please excuse any spelling mistakes as well, I didn't proof read this and it's very late.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Possibly go see an ENT and see what they have to say. Stress can also bring on tinnitus/increase ringing, so try to reduce your stress. You are very young, so don't scare yourself over this matter. Your ringing is very minimal and MANY including myself have full blown LOUD ringing in both ears 24-7.

Try to remain calm and protect your ears. It can get louder, if you abuse your ears. Loud noises, places and environments can make tinnitus worst..

Enjoy your life, you have a bright future ahead of you :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sophia S.

Sophia S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was smacked in the ear

Thank you so much this was a big help!

• Like Like x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Fishbone has given you excellent advise. Yes, seeing an ENT and remaining calm and positive are your best steps to deal with it. ENT will determine if you have hidden issues with the ears such as any eardrum injury from the incident at 8 years old. Stress and anxiety are things that can aggravate tinnitus. So try to get back living your life as happy and normal as a 14 year old should. If you learn to ignore your T which is still mild, remaining calm and relax about it, it will get less and less of any issue. Many young people learn to move on and have written their success stories. I will give you a few example below. So don't panic and worry about the future. You should be doing well with a great future. Take care. God bless.

success story of 17 years old Zach:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/fake-it-until-you-make-it.7590/

success story of Jari with T since 12 years old:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new.7670/

lana got T at 15 and getting better:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/positivity.13050/

• Like Like x 1