Help, My Neigbor's Dryer Drives Me Crazy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MrCanary, Jun 25, 2021.

1. MrCanary

MrCanary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud overhead sirens on police cars
      Hi everyone,

I was a police officer working in the traffic patrol department in the late 1970s to early 1980s. Sometime during that period, police forces around the country were dropping the old two-tone sound and introducing American style sirens. The early ones were deafening. We cringed in the cars and the public covered their ears as we drove by. That was when I first noticed my tinnitus.

In all the years since then, I have learned to live with it. The noise is constant, day and night, but I have managed it. As we all probably know, it is very difficult. Different things make it worse: tiredness, definitely, and varying ailments help turn up the volume. The odd glass of whisky makes it worse.

Now, I have an awful new problem. My wife and I live in a semi-detached house. Our neighbour died from cancer about 18 months ago and now her family are letting the house to tenants. The rent is high. A few weeks ago, a woman and her two sons moved in. It seems her income struggles to pay the rent and she appears to be doing laundry for people to raise extra cash. Her tumble dryer is against the dividing wall and when it is in use, the vibratory noise is excruciating. Our bannister vibrates and if I pass through our hallway during one of the 1-2 hour sessions (3 to 4 times a day) I feel lightheaded and dizzy.

I almost fell down the stairs a couple of times and my tinnitus has gone to a new level. I have spoken to the woman and suggested the dryer could perhaps go in her garage. She declines, saying it is more convenient for her to have it where it is.

I am 72 and also have returning prostate cancer and high blood pressure.

Please, has anyone else been in this situation and if so, what did you do?

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      If I were you, I'd sell the house and move somewhere else as soon as possible. In 70-80% of the cases people move somewhere else because of bad neighbours.

3. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry for what's happening to you.

Secondly, if you explained your condition to your neighbor and she responded that way, she is not a good human being.

I hope your situation improves, and that you can beat your cancer!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma but diagnosed with otosclerosis
      That's awful MrCanary! I hope you can convince her to move her dryer. Keep us updated...