Help Please :) — Sudden Onset Tinnitus, Now Also Experiencing Pressure and Pain

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Samantha Gibbs, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Samantha Gibbs

Samantha Gibbs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,

17 days ago I was on a nightshift and I was very congested all of a sudden - then sudden onset of a very loud ringing in my left ear - honestly was so so loud, 2 days later I had a tonsillectomy, I mentioned this noise to the ENT and he wasn’t concerned.

Following surgery and recovery my ringing is still very much there! Doctors have said it’s a possible virus in the ear or blocked tubes.

I have lots of pressure and sometimes pain, I can feel it ringing if that makes sense?

Also when putting the ear drops in the docs gave me 2 days ago I can also hear a higher pitched ring alongside the original one?

I can hear very little out of my left ear the ring and vibration is too loud, even if I can’t hear it over background noise, I can feel it?

Does anyone else have tinnitus they can feel?

Doctors have assured me it’s not permanent but I honestly am losing my mind, it’s ridiculously loud :(

Any advice would be great
      Thanks

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have brain tinnitus I can feel in my head and I also have ear tinnitus I can hear in my ears. I hope you feel better, I know it's loud and it's hard but try to distract your mind, keep yourself busy. I hope you feel better :) cheers

3. Charbee
      Sunshine

Charbee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not 100% sure
      Try and stay calm 17 days is not long at all for most people the tinnitus will only be temporary so try not to panic. I know it’s hard to stay calm. Try some relaxation videos on YouTube like progressive muscle relaxation. What do you think the cause of your tinnitus was? Sorry I am confused by that part. Try and keep your mind busy and relax as much as possible stress will only make it worse.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha Gibbs

Samantha Gibbs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for you advice, it started after becoming very congested and bunged up one evening at work, the congestion came on very quickly and had disappeared by the next day but the ringing has continued the doctors have said it may be a virus in the ear or blocked tubes both of which could last a while, I constantly have a headache these last couple of days, wether it’s stress or a sinus issue I’m not sure, going to try a Hopi ear candle this evening in hope of clearing any blockage which may be behind the ear drum, I’m so desperate for relief at this point I’ll try anything
      Sam

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Samantha Gibbs

A warm welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      Ear infections can cause tinnitus and can take weeks after for the ringing to reduce or stop.
      You can try steam inhalation or Sudefed to clear any mucus and ease pressure if from your sinuses or eustatin tubes.
      If you start getting vertigo it means your inner ear is getting damaged from the infection and get checked out.

After your operation you will get inflamation in your throat and as all connected that can spike tinnitus also but should settle.
      love glynis

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha Gibbs

Samantha Gibbs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks again for you replies, I’m not a regular at clubs or concerts and I don’t listen to loud music through my headphones, I have been known to fall asleep with them on but at a very quiet volume with a programme rather than music on so I really don’t think it could be damage from loud noise
      I am praying it’s some sort of infection or blockage and will start to ease soon, even just a quieter volume would make it more bearable, no sounds tune it out at all, it’s like a wasp is sitting on my eardrum

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Samantha Gibbs

Do you listen to music through headphones regularly? If you do I suggest that you do not use them until your tinnitus goes away. A lot of people that listen to music through headphones do not think the volume is loud. Unfortunately they often don't realize they are listening to music at too high a volume.

I wish you well.
      Michael

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha Gibbs

Samantha Gibbs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Micheal, I didn’t listen to music through my headphones just tv programmes, which are at an acceptable volume as I used them to fall asleep after nightshifts to block out the everyday noise
      Thanks

10. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      Hello Samantha. I also have the condition of feeling my Tinnitus in my head. So you are not alone. I hope yours will subside with time.

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Screenshot_20180928-193200_Google.jpg t @Samantha Gibbs ,
      Check out the eye masks to help sleep through the day with built in speakers can come bluetooth or plug in...might be better than earphones...

love glynis

they look brilliant

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha Gibbs

Samantha Gibbs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh my goodness never heard of them, they look fab! Will definitely invest in some for post night shifts
      Thank you,

• Hug Hug x 1