Help Please (Mirtazapine Withdrawal, Tinnitus Going Mad)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wendy A, Aug 19, 2015.

1. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      By electrical sounds do u mean high pitched screechy type T?

2. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi @snow86, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time. I can relate. In the early days I had zero minutes of sleep 2 nights in a row. I thought my life was over. After a few weeks of despair I finally decided to get my act in gear and rented a small place with my parents in the mountains in France. We walked for hours and hours every single day and as a result, I started sleeping a couple of hours out of sheer physical exhaustion. That was the first very small step in the right direction. It took 6 months before the electrical sounds started reducing, but it was an extremely slow process. The vibrating sensation and and electrical zaps already started reducing about 3 months after stopping the meds though. It's incredibly rough, but there is hope!!
      Take care :huganimation:

3. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      This is really weird. I have been on Remeron for 5 years(30mg-45mg) in addition to effexor(15 years). I take it for sleep. The only thing that has helped me with my T is REMERON. Quite contradictory to your experiences.
      When I take it before I go to bed my T diminishes by 40-50 % every time. Its very reliable.
      Now, I can ofcourse not be sure the drug in itself actually gave me T in the first place, but Im pretty sure it was an aucustic trauma last year that did it. First 3 years on Remeron, T was not an issue with me. Still I also have an electrical/vibrating shrill-like T as you guys describe. Really strange. If my T is from ototoxic drugs I was sure it would be due to my extensive benzo use over the years.

4. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi @grate_biff interesting how it seems to diminish your T. I must say that when I took it the first few nights, it seemed to reduce my T for a few hours, but when I woke up it was much worse than before taking it... and every morning new sounds would appear. Its impossible to understand how it all works. The electrical, vibrating sensation seems to be a common denominator.
      There have been quite a few official reports of Mirtazapine induced tinnitus: https://www.druginformer.com/search/side_effect_details/mirtazapine/tinnitus.html

5. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been on and off Mirtazapine a number of times, with no withdrawal effects, thankfully. However, after my last attempt at taking this drug for sleep, I have been scared straight. I had the worst day I have ever had in my years of battling T. I had one ear basically shut down by ringing, both ears were clogged, hyperacusis was ridiculous. I couldn't hear someone across a small room. My own voice was unrecognizable. Anything on the TV was useless since I couldn't understand what was being said. I am posting this because I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with this drug. I am certain that it was this drug, since I have not changed anything in my diet. I am one day removed from the drug and am getting some of my hearing back. I want to know if it gets better.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      hi snow,i would try to do a real slow taper as its pretty rough coming of but even after the 3 weeks i was on it it was changing the sounds i had,in hell at the moment but maria is giving me hope and strength,good luck

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Guys

I think I may be in the same boat. I've been on and off, (mostly on) mirtazapine for a couple of years. I hadn't noticed too much effect on my tinnitus when I started taking it, just a slight increase in electrical sounds but nothing unbearable. My T has worsened over time and is now very electrical sounding, like a live wire. Becuase it has been a gradual worsening I was never sure if it was the drug or not. I know the vibrating ear drum was mirtazapine related. The problem is that sleep is so hard without the mirtazapine. My Tinnitus screeches so loud these days too. Last month has been torture and any stress at work makes it unbearable at night. I would love to come off this drug (and occasional zopiclone) but sleeping with such intense noise, as you know, is so difficult. I tried theanine which makes me feel relaxed (recommended) but not sedated enough to sleep. L-Tryptophan (or 5-HTP) is supposed to help sleep but shouldn't be taken with ADs as can get serotonin toxicity. I havne't tried 5-HTP yet until I can come off the mirtazapine.
      It's difficult to know what to do but Iwish I had not started mirtazapine either. It would seem that my symptoms match you guys anf that mirtazapine could well be the culprit for the vibrating ear drum and noisy electrical sounds.. Need to find a way forward.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      i would say its the mirtazapine,my ear drums vibrate in the night ,seems to go all the way down my eustation tube at times ,freaks me out,but its the noises,there so grating ,sometimes like now its like an electrical drill,stop start,been of 8 weeks and its hell,thought the sleep was going to be my only problem ,if only it was,had no idea it could do so much damage in 3 weeks,if you come of and i would,even a and e told me it was poison after i had to go there when things got bad,i suggest a very very very slow taper ,i tapered fot 1.5 weeks after using it for the same period and even that wasnt long enough.

9. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Seriously what med is natural. Obviously melatonin is man made, they can't extract it from humans, but it's safer than benzos that's for sure, given there are no reported side effects in the US or UK and children have it too. Now benzos they will have millions of side effects. I chose a tiny dose of melatonin at an age where I will be making less. I refused strong sedative sleeping pills.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      let us know how you get on Michael,my symptoms did not start till around the 8th day of being of them and both my ears were ringing and vibrating ,and i think i lost hearing ,waiting for a check up but i know i have. .

11. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am almost back to my previous T volume. I am about 48 hours off this drug for good and can say that I agree with everyone else that I wish I had never gone down the road of antidepressants. Unlike everyone else, I can honestly say I have not gone through withdrawal hell like others. I have been off this drug for a month already in the past year and this time around, I am doing okay. It was the one day where everything went crazy that has likely put me off these drugs for life.

12. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Sounds like youve been lucky Michael , wish i had been that lucky,go for long walks to help you sleep its safer.

14. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've already got three nights under my belt without Mirtazapine. I find reading helps, along with a cup of tea (any of the sleepy teas seem to work okay) along with melatonin supplement (short term) and valerian root. I am hoping to simplify this soon. But, I agree that I have been very, very lucky so far. Compared to the withdrawal after stopping Ciprolex, this has been relatively easy. My biggest issue is shutting down my brain at night.

15. jjnz

jjnz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      OK so pardon me if this seems a bit passionate but I have Tinnitus as a direct result of antidepressant withdrawal, I'm not the only documented case either. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3357564/
      Other than a plethora of other debilitating side effects such as balance issues, head zaps, even worse depression , neurological issues, restless legs, ocd like compulsions, extreme dandruff and a host of other issues that are hard to prove are related but all occured within a very short time after pulling the pin.
      By all means, knock yourselves out but I would pay good money to reverse the decision I made all those years ago, I can only suggest people read the forum stories at the various websites that allow people to discuss antidepressant withdrawal effects. Its the withdrawal effects that will get you , not so much the side effects from current use.

16. jjnz

jjnz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      For those suffering from 'headzaps' ( very brief millisecond brain shocks usually which occur sporadically but can also be induced by eye movements) common when tapering down from antidepressants .
      The anecdotal reports of improvement seem to be fish oil ingestion and various multivitamins, I dont really know f these help much, I think its pretty close to a placebo effect the rest assured in time the headzaps will go but it might be a few weeks/months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had no idea that you could have issues with tinnitus when you are in withdrawal from drugs like Mirtazapine. I am okay now that I am off it for good, but I am now wondering just what an effect it had on my ears. I can't believe how many bad experiences people have had with a drug that is generally regarded as being safe for your ears.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      This drug is far from safe,when coming of it i had to go to A &E it got that bad and even the doctor side the withdrawal effects were the worst she had seen and that it was poison,would never have gone on it if i had known,just thought id get insomnia,i wish,every day is a struggle now .

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Hi,just had another hearing test this week,lost hearing since june when i last had one,all down to 3 weeks of mirtazapine,still struggling with withdrawal effects,current ,bran zaps,still down xx

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Hi ,has anyone who stopped meds had brain zaps and current running through there head? ive been of 11 weeks and still having it?

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It can happen coming off meds and also a symptom of anxiety.
      I would pop in your doctors just to let him/her know its still going on...lots of love glynis

22. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      Hmm i have had mirtazapine for years (between 07/09) didn't develop T until last year which i still believe
      is noise induced.I have a feeling these drugs also contributed to the deterioration of my hearing in some way.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I would guess so,did a hearing test last week and ive lost hearing from june when i had one prior to these tablets,it all happened when i came of them.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      So just an update,went to see a neurologist today regards all the zaps and electricity,did some tests but looks like it could be another 3 months of these symptoms,for 3 weeks of tablets months of hell,sounds are still horrible different electric sound nearly every day,what a life,sorry fed up still xxx

25. Trying Hard

Trying Hard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      How are you doing now Wendy?

26. Allancook

Allancook Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury
      I was prescribed Mirtazapine for depression and my T increased. I have experienced the same vibrating ear drum effects and since stopping the meds have felt none. The ringing does seem worse. But it's important to be careful. Withdrawing from meds I've done and the side effects can be severe. Perhaps changing to a different type is a better option. Meds should prevent the cause and not create others. Get some help Wendy and block them negative thoughts. You are beating this and be strong. Keep up the research and get advice from your GP I know the effects of T are difficult and frustrating but you must stay strong minded. Take care and shine through. X

27. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Wendy, how are you doing these days? I hope for your sake, the noises have settled down since your mirt ordeal. I've got down to a quarter of a 15mg mirtazapine tablet, 3 times a week and my T has increased horribly. I think the mirt has made my T worse whilst being on them which is why I want to try to come off. The irony is that the T is even worse whilst getting off them, as you know. I just hope long term, it will improve, but how long, I don't know? Trying to slowly phase it out like a friend of mine at my support group did. Hope you are doing OK now. It would be great to hear from you and to know if the noises have settled down for you to give me and others a little hope.

28. DirM
      Pensive

DirM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      I just started Remeron this week for sleep for T. My first day after I actually had a few hours of quiet in the afternoon with T about zero. Unfortunately the quiet did not come back on the next two days, but it definitely hasn't increased.

For my T I find I can sometimes beat it to almost zero with enough depressants, so right now with Remeron the night before plus Ativan in the early morning T is on a 2/10 scale.

29. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      For my Mirtazapine is a life saver. It's the reason I can sleep and am eating again. I think it calms my T. After half an hour my T. calms down and in the morning sometimes it's completely silent.

30. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Did anyone hear from Wendy? Having bad symptoms getting off this too?