Help with Tinnitus — Doctors Won't Prescribe Clonazepam Anymore

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Christi, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Christi

Christi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know yet
      Hi my name is Christi. I had tinnitus for about four years now.

I was put on clonazepam to help calm down the ringing in both of my ears.

I had to change GP doctors since my other one is no longer in practice. He will not write a prescription for my clonazepam for the tinnitus in both ears and neither will my physicists.

I need help on what to do. Because now I can't handle the high pitch sounds in my both of my ears

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi @Christi,

Try going to an ENT. Maybe he or she will write one out for you instead if you articulate your case.

Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Christi,
      Sorry to hear about your situation. I have been prescribed clonazepam for some time now but only take it when my tinnitus is severe. Then it is only taken for a maximum of two days and it reduces it to complete silence. My tinnitus naturally varies from silent, mild, moderate and severe. My ENT doctor and GP advised me that this drug can lead to addition if taken regularly. Apparently, the body will quickly habituate to it and the dose, has to be increased to get the same relief from the tinnitus. I have never taken more than 2 x0.5 tablets per day for a max of 2 days.

This drug can also have unpleasant side effects but I haven't noticed any. Perhaps your doctors are becoming concerned with the amount of clonazepam you are taking and this could be the reason they do not want to prescribe it anymore? Perhaps having a word with them that you're finding it difficult to cope, they will prescribe with the view to slowly wean you off it. Clonazepam shouldn't be stopped abruptly, so I think your doctors have slipped up there.

Have another word them and explain how you're feeling. Hopefully they'll prescribe it and slowly reduce the dose to allow your body time to adjust and eventually take you off it. If you are able to get some tinnitus counselling, with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist this could be helpful.
      Best of luck
      Michael

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christi

Christi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know yet
      I was on the lower dose on my clonazepam 0.5. Only 1 a day it kept the ringing down a lot I tried to tell my new therapist what was going on she's not helping me with my tinnitus. My new regular doctor will not put me on it cause he said I will lose my memory. I will go talk to my ENT doctor and see what he's says. I wasn't abusing my clonazepam when I was on them. It was helping me deal with my tinnitus and my anxiety as well. Thank y'all

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Christi
      I was told not to take clonazepam too often as it's not good and fortunately I haven't. If possible see another therapist for some tinnitus counselling.