Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Linda Dohn, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Linda Dohn

Linda Dohn Guest

Has anyone had less sound from anything- Drugs, Therapy

2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, certain drugs are well known for being ototoxic.

Certain chermotherapy drugs, strong anti-biotics (such as vancomyacin), aspirin, etc. Is there a particular drug you are concerned about? There is a very comprehensive list available of known ototoxic medications.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      If I understood correctly, I think she asked about what could help. "less sound from anything"

Unfortunately there isn't that much Linda... there are things that can lessen the anxiety and help you with sleep but that's currently about it.

You've had tinnitus for a long time, has it recently got worse that caused you to look for help?

Best wishes,
      Markku

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mrs.Botting

Mrs.Botting Guest

I feels as if this is going to drive me crazy, it is so loud! I am having trouble working, in my family life, sleeping, I am on a waiting list for ENT but it is 9-12 months!

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Mrs Botting. The best thing you can do right now is get into your GP and get something for your anxiety. As troubling as T is, the anxiety is what drives the worst of it. Getting that addressed would start the ball rolling to a better time for you and helping you with your T.

• Like Like x 1
    6. inadmin

inadmin Member

Markku, hi, new member here, how do I send you a PM?

7. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi hope you don't mind me chiming in. Just go up to "inbox" and choose "Start a new conversation". Then specify who you want to converse with. It can be more than one person. Thanks

8. Shelly Dowden

Shelly Dowden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2013
      Ditto!! Please tell me this gets better before I actually go crazy!

9. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It gets better Shelly.

If you can try not to go crazy and don't get too anxious, then eventually you will feel better. It takes time. Lots of time. It may not go away completely but most people find ways of managing it and many find that the brain does minimise the noise. For some it goes away completely.

Keep calm & try to stay healthy whilst you wait... & have a look at all the helpful posts in the forum.

Click

10. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Try to look on the bright side, if you dare, if you can. I know that isn't easy, but one day, you will.

My bright side: I stopped drinking Red Bull (I drank 6-7 cans a day), I stopped eating junk-food and candy and lost already 20 kg. I seize the moment, I avoid lingering around, I do meaningful things ever since tinnitus jumped into my head. I'm more aware of myself, the people around and things around me.

Tinnitus made it hard for me to watch a boring, no-good movie, to meaningless scan the internet, to waste time with things that do not matter.

I don't worry about my tinnitus anymore, not as much as 2 months ago. I don't pay attention to it, it's not a friend, but it isn't an enemy either. It's just something that is there. Like my left foot. Or my right foot for that matter. Or the fact I'm losing hair.

Oh well, silence is golden, but silver is pretty damn good as well…

• Like Like x 4
    11. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes it does get better in time. Some people it happens relatively quick, others like with me, it may take longer. Just know it will improve. You will adjust, your brain will adjust and things will get better.

12. CPE1978

CPE1978 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      I dont know where you are from, but in the UK we have an organisation called the British Tinnitus Association. I have been having a rough couple of days, in fact I didnt sleep at all last night. I have never spoken to anyone about ringing in my ears or how to manage and prevent it getting worse. I phoned their helpline and spoke to someone who was fantastically knowledgeable, reassured me and gave me some strategies.

She spoke to me about the fact that T is your brain and not necessarily your ears (i am summarising), and that what I need to to try and do is to train my brain to treat it in the same way that you would treat road noise if you lived by a busy road.

Fingers crossed that is possible.

13. Paint girl
      Artistic

Paint girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident/ head injury.
      I completely sympathize with you. Its tough. I find when i go outside the breeze over my ears seems to get rid of the noise. I'll nap in my hammock when I cant seem to get a handle on myself.