Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Matthew43, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Matthew43

Matthew43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1stISH
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to music low volume noise induced
      16, month ago. Got tinnitus two days ago, my guess? Noise induced. New guitarist and singer, been playing violin for seven years, on and off. Listening to music for five years on and off, never go past half the volume bar knowing hearing is not something to be joked about. So if I'm so cautious what caused it? My guess (which is safe to say) pep rally at school. Right next to the speakers, but not foolish enough to at least do something. Put my fingers in my ears to reduce the noise, (however unlucky me it found a way to get me).

Now I realize tinnitus never truly goes away (in fact everyone has it, people who 'never had/have it' were put in a sound-proof room to find out a slight buzz/ring) it's just tinnitus amplifies the sound. Right now I'd say I'm at a high C5-C6, faint but noticeable ringing. Ears are cloggy, slight ear wax in right ear which I removed carefully, high pitch, and a lower drone noise which I may have had for a while (just focused on it recently but it's been the norm).

I understand the majority here have done some, remarkably stupid things with their hearing. Blasting headphones, going to concerts for hours, etc. I may expose myself to my instruments, but I realize the dB's they can reach & never play them remotely that high. I've seen the tinnitus for ten-fifteen years on fourms from explosions and other stuff. I've seen the '3 doctors said it will 100% go away' loud noise induiced.

What I wanna know is if this is the only incident I've exposed myself to dangerously loud noise, it would lower to a substantially lesser volume correct? I can definitely hear it if I pay attention in a silent room. Although it's not bad, I would be foolish to not at least hope for it to become better. Woke up midnight to the high pitch, searched up crickets chirping on google and matched the pitch (you're welcome.. benefits to having pitch concept)

TL DR; week ago big pep rally, to close to speaker but plugged my fingers in ears. 5 days later tinnitus left ear, spread to right. Pitch C5-C6 will it get LOWER. Not go away (although I've read it can depending the situation) I've been careful so I ponder if it might even go. Thoughts.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew43

Matthew43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1stISH
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, if I sit in a room with relatively no noise, my symptoms are
      ears clogged, drone noise in right ear, low vol high pitch both ears. Thought i'd let u know ;)

3. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, pretty much the thing I experienced when I first got T a month ago. I would say this is your recovery period. It takes a lot less to damage your hearing now. Protect what you have left, but don't over protect them. Use common sense and wear them to any loud events. Restaurants that have bars, cinema, clubs, school events, etc. I would start taking some vitamins to help prevent anymore damage. Vitamin A, B12, and magnesium are good enough. Don't panic. You may ask "why me". Life is a bitch, that's why. Also ask for steroids as that may relieve some of the symptoms. Maybe it will go away in a few months.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. If you have clogged ears, have you seen an ENT for it? It is best to see a doctor first to rule out any problem with the ears. Have you used masking yet? It helps if T is giving you too much anxiety and stress. Knowing there iss a way to block the T ringing will help you calm down. The less stress and anxiety, the easier to deal with T. Also, if your ears are still unstable and sensitive to loud sounds, perhaps it is best to stay away from loud places for the time being. Take care. God bless.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew43

Matthew43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1stISH
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Um, haven't got that far yet. Tbh I don't know what masking is and all that stuff, however I must say I think it's just a one time think (granted this doesn't occur again). Just waiting for it to tone down a bit more.

6. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Matthew43,

Welcome to the site.

Your first and foremost priority is to stay cool, calm, and collected!

As suggested, first go to the ENT and see what he/she has to say once they look inside your ear and sinus cavity. Since you are so young, your ability to recoop is faster than mine at age 44. Hopefully, the tinnitus will go away and it will be a distant memory in no time flat.

If unfortunately it does not, your mind will gradually ignore it as time passes and it will not interfere with your daily activities. However, this does not mean you should blast AC/DC on your headphones, go to loud concerts, or go light firecrackers in the woods. You found out at a young age that your health is your wealth! Best of luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matthew43

Matthew43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1stISH
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good news and not so good news. Most sounds lost, some gained.
      I have a new F sharp in my right ear just ten minutes ago, so I wonder if that will last...

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      New T is known to be unpredictable and it can morph into new symptoms in tone, pitch, changing ears, etc. So it is best to understand there will be a period of instability. It may take 6 months to 18 months for new T to be more stable. So try to stay calm and focus on living your life instead of zooming on the T what it is doing all the time. T wants us to make it the focus. We need to do otherwise. If you are improving, there is what counts. Keep living positively and it will only help as time goes on. Take care. God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Going to concerts is stupid? Why isn't there more awareness about hearing damage/tinnitus then? Ahthough i did get tinnitus from concerts i feel your message is quite insulting. The awareness just isn't there. The proof of this is that many people who go to concerts wear no ear protection at all. Would they if they were truely aware of the risks?