Here We Go Again...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by OrchestraInHead, Jan 16, 2018.

1. OrchestraInHead

OrchestraInHead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely no idea!
      Hello everyone,

I'm not new to this tinnitus crap that we're all having to deal with. Mine started when I was 18 (i'm 32 now) and for no apparent reason - started in one ear and then the other joined in about a week later. I've had four hearing tests in four independent places and all within normal range. I habituated incredibly well (after being diagnosed with severe tonal tinnitus) and it didn't bother me at all - in fact, I forgot I had it...

Years later, I have been experiencing random spikes. Two years ago I developed a reactive hiss (reacts to a kettle, car, etc...), a morse code and my tonal increased in loudness. This calmed down within about three months and once again I didn't really care about the noise. Unfortunately, it's happening again....it is possibly linked to noise exposure after New Year's Eve but i'm unsure as I was wearing ear protection and my symptoms increased approximately 4 days later! I think I also have hyperacusis as everything is far louder than what I would like...

I am currently trying Magnesium oil, VitB2, VitB12, VitD3 while increasing my exercise routine but argh, habituating - although I know it will happen, the time it takes....yep, here we go again!

Jen

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My tinnitus began 10 days after my acoustic trauma. Many people here report that hearing protection is not effective when it comes to preventing tinnitus spikes.

3. J.Hartog
      Worried

J.Hartog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      I know how you feel, Im 5 years into this tinnitus bitch and slipping in and out of habituation too.

Times were it doesnt bother me at all and I live a careless life and try to pick up on things and there are times when it spikes and i'm almost suicidal.

Tinnitus is fucking hell. I wish you al the strength and courage to fight/accept this evil.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OrchestraInHead

OrchestraInHead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely no idea!
      Argh! It's crazy - I had been to SO many loud places after this first hit and I never once had a flare up. Nothing changed until roughly two years ago and believe me I can't think of anything that could have caused the spike. I hadn't been exposed to anything loud at all but out of the blue - reactive morse code and hissing that was more or less unbearable! It calmed down after months and months but now it's back and identical to two years ago. Like I said, it's probably due to new year's eve but who knows?! Tinnitus is a beast that should be locked in a cage and never allowed release! Having to readapt is the hardest part of this...I know it's doable but it takes a lot of strength and effort!

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

Hope you can find the exact cause of your spike and also hope it is treatable. Good luck. God bless.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OrchestraInHead

OrchestraInHead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely no idea!
      Hello everyone,

Well, here I am again complaining of ANOTHER spike in tinnitus. Thank you West End musical! Anyhow, my tinnitus is having a 'hissy fit' again and quite literally - it's hissing! This is my third spike in 4 years (two of which were idiopathic) but the fun of habituating again...

So here I am listening to white noise for several hours a day in hope I can habituate quickly.

Any news on potential treatments?

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      May I ask if you have known hearing loss or a history of loud noise exposure? Tinnitus is rarely idiopathic.

Ask a doctor about ototoxic medications or any other underlying health problem that may cause tinnitus, but usually the answer is too much loud noise.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OrchestraInHead

OrchestraInHead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely no idea!
      I have had bilateral tinnitus for 16 years - no known cause and no, I don't have hearing loss. I have been told I have brilliant hearing following multiple hearing tests. I do have hyperacusis though. Anyhow, I have habituated many, many times following spikes over the last 16 years and will just have to wait once again to habituate to this one. It's an annoyance but at least it's one that calms down.... eventually!

• Hug Hug x 1