Hey, Needing Some Success Stories Here. Tinnitus After Sudden Hearing Loss.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dulberget, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Dulberget

Dulberget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss of 50DB
      Hey my name is Ty, I am 26 years old and suffered sudden hearing loss 2 months ago. Thanks to the lord my hearing recovered fully but I do still feel a bit of fullness in my ear and tinnitus is there all the time. Most of the time it's low, but when I get upset or stressed its becoming stronger, also when I smoke Marijuana.

I stopped smoking cigarettes at the day of the incident and also stopped propecia.

Does anyone know what are the chances the tinnitus will disappear? My life has changed I'm scared to go to loud places, did someone here went through a similar case? Tinnitus after SSHL?

Please share, what should I avoid and for how long, and what kind of lifestyle can I adopt to reduce it/create best terms it will might go one day.
      Thanks a lot !

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Joel Waterman

Joel Waterman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones/speakers and/or water damage
      Hey Ty, sorry you're going through this.

Since your T is so recent there's still a somewhat decent chance it will go away. Some people have success with lowering the volume of T by taking ginkgo, magnesium, zinc, ginger, b12, and other such things, while it doesn't do anything for other people.

For those who it doesn't go away for, it's all about just learning how to best live with it. Since being around unsafe volume levels is a common cause of T it's a good idea to avoid really loud events or wear sufficient hearing protection for them. Just be careful not to overuse hearing protection because that can make it worse.

I got pretty bad T (and hyperacusis) by flushing my ears out with water to try to remove ear wax, so I definitely reccomend never doing that, or letting a doctor/nurse do it. Lots of people get T from doing it themselves or having a doctor/nurse do it. It's unsafe either way, and there are safe ways to remove ear wax if you ever need it done.

I'm not a professional or anything and am just speaking from my experience, and what I've read from others. Most people with T are able to live pretty normally, you probably mainly just want to be careful about really loud events.

Merry Christmas, and I really hope that yours goes away completely!

P.S. There's a section on there for success stories, and there are lots of really good ones. Reading them definitely helps gives me hope for it going away someday. :)

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/success-stories.47/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dulberget

Dulberget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss of 50DB
      Hey Joel, thank you so much. You gave me hope and made me smile. Merry Christmas and Im happy to be part of the community. I wish all of us a happy 2018 without a T

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You can credit the lord if you would like, but a recovery from SSNHL is not really miraculous. See here:
      "Spontaneous recovery occurs in 32-79% of the cases, usually within the first two weeks. The chances of full hearing recovery are smaller for patients with severe loss of hearing and when the sudden sensorineural hearing loss is accompanied by vertigo. The younger the patient, the greater the likelihood of a full recovery."

5. SedonaGal
      Inspired

SedonaGal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 11 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Complete hearing loss in right ear with Xtreme Vertigo
      I just turned 57 and fit profile above. Sudden hearing loss in right ear with T and extreme vertigo. No hearing has returned, still dizzy and still have T 24X7. The T level waxes and wanes but never goes away. Gabapentin has been helpful (need Dr. prescription) and I sleep well and wake up with lowest T level (but builds as day goes on, starting with sound of coffeemaker and water). Also $10 Conair Touch N Tone applied directly to ear stops T for a few seconds! I am still looking for relief and will try a few things I've read about on this website. Good luck to you and to all of us!

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome & Merry Christmas to you too. Try to read up many success stories to give you hope. There you will learn different approaches to help get better and you can pick those more relevant to your case. If you have time, check out my success story in overcoming ultra high pitch tinnitus plus severe hyperacusis. Learn to copy success from those who have walked their talk. Happy New Year. Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/