Hey Y'all, I've Been Completely Habituated to My Tinnitus for Around 2 Years Now

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Willie, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Willie
      Shitfaced

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      Hey y'all, just checking in on everyone. Hope all is well, I've completely habituated to my T and have been habituated for around 2 years now. Life is good. Well, currently a broke college kid so a couple million would be nice. Believe it or not, it will get better. Keep fighting, look at memes, watch some Netflix (Arrested Development is too damn good), go out with friends. This too shall pass.

I never really talked to any of the people around me about my T and the struggles it brought onto me. Neither did I tell them how low I got where I even played with thoughts of suicide in my head. I remember vigorously going through thread and thread on this group, and it helped me cope knowing there were others like me out there. Just want to send all of you a big thank you. Better late than never, right? Eventually what made me come to terms with it was my brain, it got used to it. I can comfortable say it doesn't bother me at all. I can relax. I can listen to loud music, and go to loud events. I can live life. Cheers to all of you.

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Please remember T can get worse! Use earplugs!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Starlord

Starlord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would be careful and not reckless. From looking at your profile and posts it seems that you had low T for as long as you could remember, and then in 2010 it became louder and bothersome. You were eventually able to habituate and forget about it (I'm not sure if it was really gone or if you were just able to tune it out). Anyway, it came back in 2014 after go-karting. It became louder, intrusive, made you depressed, anxious, lost your appetite, and turned you into a mess (according to your words). This is what I have gathered from your posts.

So you had 2 increases when tinnitus became bothersome and habituated 2 times. Now I must congratulate you on this achievement, as it gives me hope that I will too. I seem to be somewhere in middle. However, I would never want to put myself in a position where I could end up a wreck like I was initially. My 1.5 years have been hell and each and every day ate at me. I would not want to repeat those feelings, and I bet you wouldn't either, because you repeated them once again in 2014.

In one of your posts you wrote that you thought you were "immune" after you habituated the first time, but then it came back in 2014. The thing is no one is immune to T. And yes there are people that can habituate multiple times, but all those days and months or years of suffering till that habituation is a long process. I would not want to have to repeat that process. A person can also get to a point where habituation may not be likely because of how loud and how much damage there is.

So thank you for coming back. Especially since I still struggle and am fighting to get to that point where I don't think about it anymore. Although you feel good now, and probably forgot or blocked out how it initially felt, try rereading some of your old posts so that you can see how badly you felt back then. I know none of us want to relive those memories, but if it can help you to learn from them then its worth it. Even if the only lesson learned is how you felt and how to avoid that. Because if I ever get to my habituation point, I would never listen to loud music or go to loud events. We are already compromised as is. Loud music and events are not the only way to have fun or live a happy life. It's all about the perspective of what is really important.

Take care and here's to a happy life

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I wouldn't recommend that even if you don't have hearing loss
      better to avoid it now than regret later
      ----
      you can listen to music at normal volume level

5. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      if you got T in 2010 it took you 5 years to habituate?

• Genius Genius x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think he is saying that it took him three years to habituate, and he has been enjoying being habituated for the past two years...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Marie79

He has had minor T for as long as he can remember. In 2010 it went up a level, but he learned how to ignore it and eventually forgot about it. In 2014 it reached intrusive levels after riding go-kart with his friends without wearing earplugs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willie
      Shitfaced

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      >Non intrusive T while I was in extremely quiet places forever (but pretty sure that's almost everyone)
      >2010 it spiked after a family party. Was very annoying. Took me a couple months to habituate.
      >Spiked again in 2014, got extremely loud. I even had thoughts of suicide. It got really, really bad. Eventually, with patience and time my brain completely habituated to it and got completely used to it.

If anyone needs to talk I'm here.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willie
      Shitfaced

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      T is raging as I type this but I can decide to zone in and out of it. I don't know, it's weird. The brain is a powerful thing.

• Like Like x 3
    10. Widex

Widex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Willie
      How loud is your T and what is sound of your T?