Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nobody, Sep 18, 2014.

1. nobody
      Cold turkey

nobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/10/2011
      Hello, nice to join this support group for Tinnitus sufferers, I've had Tinnitus for 3 years now, it's a tough one to deal with, although most of the time I ignore it, but then there are times when I'm really conscious of it and it is at those times that I wish it would disappear for good but of course it never does.

Tinnitus is a strange thing to have because it's one of those things that is very infuriating and I think the reason for that is because our natural state of being is silence, so anyone who has Tinnitus is unable to escape to the sanctuary of their silent world especially after a long noisy day at work or just living ordinarily day to day doing what ever.

Anyway, what helps me deal with it more than anything is knowing how common it is, and that it's not just me, it's millions of others going through the same experience. Learning to live with this condition and to totally accept it can take years, I'm still trying to make friends with, or habituate it, but it's so difficult to accept something like this, especially because it changes tone and frequency so often, spikes are often frightening simply because we have no control and no one knows how to cure this beast.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nobody
      Cold turkey

nobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/10/2011
      How I think I got my Tinnitus was because of a few bad ear infections I suffered in my lifetime, I'm 57 now. According to my Dr, an infected ear causes scaring on the drum which interferes with wax production causing excess wax to build up.So that's what happened to my ear, too much wax meant I was always having to have them syringed out. Once I left them for too long and developed impacted wax which was very difficult to remove. Eventually the nurse was able to get it all out but the trauma was too great and bang, I got Tinnitus.

That's pretty much how I think it all started for me.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Yea hopefully there will be a cure in the next decade or two.
      T is very complicated, even if they find a cure, it may not work for all T patients as T is caused by many disfunctions such as ear infection, head or ear trauma, brain fluid, stress, hair cell damage I think? and who knows what else.

So say someone finds a cure for ear infection caused T, people with Trauma related T will still have T until someone finds a cure for that.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nobody
      Cold turkey

nobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/10/2011
      Thanks for your reply. Yeah, it's kind of complicated the Neurological Brain which is the source of this phantom noise, we can't fathom it yet because the brain appears to take on a mind of it's own.

I'd like to think there will be a cure for all diseases, ailments and even cancer one day. Maybe not in our life time, but for our children and grandchildren and their children...etc

• Like Like x 1