Hi Fellow Sufferers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Petersi1981, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Petersi1981
      Wtf

Petersi1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just want to introduce myself, I'm 36 and I have had tinnitus for over 20 years. Started sometime in my teens for unknown reason.

Had MRI done and been told to live with it ever since. At the start I thought the only way out was to commit suicide as I didn't believe I could live with this loud 24/7 noise in my head.

Like most I got used to it after a year or two and life just went on, had very bad days and better days when I'm busy and don't notice it as much. Last few months it got very loud I mean it was always loud but now this just next level, and I'm having hard time adjusting again.

This type of board helped me cope many years ago and I hope by talking with people sufferers here it can help me again. This is such torment we have to live all our lives with...

• Like Like x 4
    2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
    3. Oen

Oen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 22, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (I believe)
      Dear Peters and Dana, I just signed up for this. I have had extremely loud hissing in my right ear and less so in my left, for about three years. I miss silence so much, and also, this horrible new sound has covered up a beautiful tintinnabulation that was in my ear before for decades but is now buried under the bad sound. It is louder now than it ever has been and I don't know why, and seems to just be gradually getting louder with time. It is the worst at night, but always especially when it's quiet. Lately I have been feeling suicidal around it (for never getting peace), but I know I can't do that to my loved ones.

I am sending out empathy to both of you who have also had this worsening, and also admiration for your having suffered with this for so long but are still here, trying to help others.

I will check the link you sent Dana, and I thank you for that.

Good luck,

Oen

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I know I'm smiling in my picture. But I have experienced the suffering unbelievable loud ringing especially in my left ear. The worst thing of all is the hum. The hum is there when I there is a fan in the room or the a/c running. Anything that pushes air. No one else hears the hum. It won't go away. My hearing aids are supposed to help the tinnitus. But they're not. The ringing is loud tonight. I have PT and it drives me crazy to hear my pulse all the time.

Oen, I wondered what the tintinnabulation is. What does that mean?

I am so sorry for everyone's distress. I wish it would all go away. But my father had it and both brothers have it. This forum has been very good for me.

Ann

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Oh, God!
      When i told my new ENT about my real intention to commit suicide (i figured he is a doctor and i have to tell the truth), he said to me that doing that would be a criminal act (not towards myself, but versus my son). I hated when i thought about it and concluded that he was right. Not even to have the "luxury" to kill myself i do not have.
      So, take a deep breath, suck it up, and go forward, we do not have a choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I believe that is right Dana.
      Much as I dislike that reality, I will always prefer to move forward with reality in mind, than fairy stories.
      We are all heroes on here.
      Show me a Tinnitus sufferer, and I’ll show you a hero.....a reluctant one of course, but a hero none the less.
      Trouble is....I don’t consider myself hero material.
      That silly old expression “time to put on the big boy (girl) pants” is very relevant, unfortunately.

I can’t think of many advantages that come with this wretched condition, but one of them undoubtedly is, meeting and talking to many kind people, who suffer like us.
      We can pat ourselves, and each other on the back, hold (metaphorical) hands, and share the love.
      Jazzer x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hello @Petersi1981
      I am truly sorry to read about your struggles. Tinnitus is a horrible thing to endure.
      Have you been able to narrow down any particular reason behind your worsening? Medications? Loud noise?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petersi1981
      Wtf

Petersi1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have no idea Vermillion...One day when i was in my teens it just showed up and never left. I never went to music concerts, never really exposed to loud music...my hearing is fine as far as i can tell. I have some loss in the high frequencies but who knows. As far as this latest flyer up i have no clue at all, over 20 years of this and I just don't know what makes it tick...I know if i'm tired, stressed, drink alcohol...it might make it worse but that's nothing new...and you still got to live a bit...

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you do have hearing losses, then it is most likely the cause of your T.

10. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Oh yes. However imho i don't think consuming alcohol once in a while can give you permanent spikes. But that's just my opinion. I am not a scientist and i may be wrong.
      Regarding @GregCA quote, you should search about "hidden hearing loss" or "cochlear synaptopathy". Not measurable HL by the current audiological tools doesn't mean a conclusive absence of HL. And this condition can get tricky if you have experienced an acoustic trauma that you may not remember. It's actually pretty rare for chronic tinnitus to be present without any particular HL.

Btw @Petersi1981 when you refer to a user, i suggest before you write his/her nickname to use the @ operator. It's the same with the facebook tagging. That way the user you refer to will receive a notification and he won't miss your post. Just some help with the forum's functions:):);)

• Like Like x 1