Hi from Scotland

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by su bernadette, Sep 26, 2014.

1. su bernadette
      Pensive

su bernadette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/03/2014
      Hi everyone,
      I have now had T for over 6 months and have just managed to get an Audiology appointment due to long waiting list and errors from the appointment department. I have been given maskers to wear with persistent white sound. I am trying to get used to wearing them.
      I had ear infections and was prescribed ototoxic drops for my ears which were licensed as eye drops and 2 lots of antibiotics. I checked this with doctor and pharmacist and was assured that they were regularly prescribed for ear infections..so I used them......not knowing they were ototoxic at that time.
      Who knows if they contributed to my T or not, I will never know. I also have a high frequency hearing loss in both ears. I am not sure where this T will take me but I am hell bent on living a normal life and hopeful to habituate sooner rather than later.
      I never realised the huge impact that this could have on ones life but I sure do know now. I have T 24/7 and it seems to fluctuate in intensity from day to day. My job involves being on call through the night and if I dont sleep well the sound is very loud indeed. Not sure how much longer I will be able to carry on working for at this rate.
      Much love to all my fellow sufferers.

Susanne

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello Susanne and welcome to TT! I hope you'll discover a lot of information here that will help you. Additionally, you'll make new friends that have to live and cope with the same condition that you are on a daily basis. I think that you'll also find a lot of emotional support here and will not feel so alone and isolated with your T condition.

There's a lot to read and learn about Tinnitus, here. I recommend that you include the section "Success Stories" in order to give you hope. We all need hope to be able to cope!...:)

There will be more people posting soon to also welcome you. You'll find that there are a lot of knowledgeable and caring people here.

Good Luck!

• Like Like x 2
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Su, and welcome to Tinnitus Talk!!

We are a friendly, supportive community of tinnitus sufferers, and we definitely understand what you're going through right now. Yes, getting enough sleep is very important, and will help you be more able to cope with your life. You could try a prescription sleep aid, or perhaps try melatonin, valerian root, or one of the new combination sleep aids with natural ingredients that are available over-the-counter. The most important thing for you right now is to try to stay calm (easier said than done!), get some sleep, and try to carry on with your life as normally as possible. Habituation is very possible --- it just takes time!

Look around the forum, and you'll find lots of great information on how to cope.

Glad you've joined us!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 4