Hi, Here's My Story

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DianneN, Mar 14, 2017.

1. DianneN

DianneN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ and misaligned jaw, I think, + loud music over the years
      Hi, I'm new here as of today (3/14/16) I have had tinnitus most of my life (I'm 54). When i was in college in the mid 80's I got TMJ treatment to include braces and fixing my bite. It did wonders for my ringing ears. However, no one ever told me to wear a retainer or anything, which may have helped, not sure. Anyway, I didn't have any trouble with it but over the past 5 years it has gotten worse again.

Now it is as bad as it has ever been. I went in Dec when it was also bad to the dentist and got a night guard. I didn't really thing it would help but got it anyway. I wear it more in the day than at night. It doesn't do much no matter when I wear it. I have an appt. with an orthodontist but not for almost another month. I have been wearing earplugs as the tinnitus seems to make my ears sensitive to sounds. In December when it was really and I wore earplugs and limited my exposure to any noise or sounds even TV. I am getting tired of hearing this ringing.

Since I have had it so long I have gotten used to it but now its worse I notice it almost all the time. The things that drown it out or distract me from it only seem to make it worse, like headphones or music, noise, etc. I am hoping that in my case getting my teeth aligned again will make it better.

Does anyone else have any experience to share or anything?

No one else I know has this and most people can't relate.

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Welcome.
      A lot of people here have experienced loud and reactive tinnitus, some from the start of their tinnitus. TMJ could be the cause, but so could loud noise exposure or age related hearing loss. It's often difficult identifying the cause of tinnitus.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I agree that this reactive nature of T has been reported by many, many members. When T is new or when it hits a new level with very high pitch, some element of hyperacusis shows up to join in the 'fun' and make us miserable. It may not be a full blown hyperacusis, but that the ears go through a period of instability and intolerance to most sounds that seem to kick T up. So this is a very common problem for new high pitch T. I had it too. Mine was actually a severe hyperacusis that I couldn't stand most noises from TV to car, restaurant to cinema, from voices of parties to even the soft voice of my wife. These all seemed too loud and piercingly hurtful. What a misery! But fortunately for many members including myself, H and reactive T have faded over time. Hope yours will do the same once your ears are more settled down. Take care. God bless.