Hi, I am Lina

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by interleukin, Jun 13, 2016.

1. interleukin
      Confused

interleukin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening music loudly
      Hello to everyone in this forum!

Firstly, I found this forum way too informative and I would like to congratulate all of the creators and participants for the courage and persistence they show.

Now regarding the introducing part...My name is Lina and I am a 25 year old Biologist from Greece. My tinnitus started approximately 4 years ago, the next day after a rehearsal in a music studio. The truth is that in my case, tinnitus was a gradual phenomenon, that started since I was 10-11 and listened music loudly on my headphones :whistle:.

Well, as the majority of people who experience this, I was really freaked out at first, and as a result, I visited 3 different doctors in order to get a solution to my problem. The diagnoses didn't include hearing loss , and that is something for which I consider myself lucky. After 5-6 months, the tinnitus symptoms were alleviated in a manner where I didn't pay attention to the buzzing sound anymore. I finished my studies, did a lot of exercise, went out with friends ,found new hobbies, and all of those contributed to my tinnitus management. Of course I stopped listening to loud music, and started wearing high quality earplugs whenever I went to concerts or participated in my own concerts.

Now I guess that I am experiencing a spike, because my tinnitus slightly changed its sound level. Considering my past week's schedule, I can tell that this is mostly provoked by a lack of sleep. Especially in the morning my ears seem clogged up and I hear the buzzing quite intensely. Do you think that this can be something else than just a simple spike?

Thanks in advance to all of you :D
      Hopefully the biological and medical advancements will lead to a permanent cure for tinnitus :D

2. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Welcome Lina,

Sorry to see you here, but still glad to meet you :) There have been some medical breakthroughs recently. But tinnitus research could always use another biologist so who knows, maybe it's something you'll be interested in researching down the line :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      interleukin
      Confused

interleukin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening music loudly
      It is nice meeting you too :)

Is any of the medical breakthroughs you mention efficient? I only read about stem cells and Neuromodulation, and among the others I think that the latter consists of the most proponents.

I didn't mention it in the first place, but indeed tinnitus was a catalyst for my future orientation and as a result, I am going towards to the field of Neurobiology for a Master and hopefully afterwards for a PhD. :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Good news :) Yes, well, Auris Medical apparently came up with a ketamine derivative (AM-101), that reduces tinnitus a little. Personally I think they're way off.

I'm a former engineer, now physics student with a long time interest in neurology/neurobiology, a mate of mine went on to study neuroscience at McGill, I was always envious of him :) Since I'm a physics major I jumped on LLLT research and have noticed something I'm not willing to divulge yet. On the side I do some entrepreneuring.
      I have reserved a lab for study this Juli and bought private equipment for some private research. Should my treatments fail then I'll probably just scrap the data and focus on the brain-stem evoked signal technology for easy objective diagnostics of tinnitus.

Then there are two molecular biologists here, and some more people, with which I have seriously started thinking about stem cell treatments. I think everyone finds it increasingly interesting, especially since we have someone here who has done a stemcell treatment and it has worked exceedingly well.
      However, we don't have access to a biological lab, and someone that does, and could perhaps point us to some second hand equipment, or some agent suppliers, would be very, very, very dear to us all :)
      We generally also find it helpful to share papers, I for example only have subscriptions to all ScienceDirect journals at home (Elsevier, Nature..). If you had a subscription to the bulk of biology journals, that'be great :)

So, if you're interested in tinnitus professionally, you've come to the right place. First one to cure tinnitus gets the prize ;)

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If a cure is ever found, it will probably be a tinnitus sufferer that finds it.