Hi, I'm 24 and New to Tinnitus. Would Really Appreciate Some Help or Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nsanta, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Nsanta

Nsanta Member

Hi! I'm 24 and I recently started suffering from tinnitus. I started noticing it about 2 weeks ago. I've been getting treated for depression for about a month and got prescribed zoloft. It seemed to be working very slowly and just not being all that great. I noticed the ringing in the ears about 2 weeks ago, then I raised my dosage from 5mg to 10mg this past weekend and it's gotten worse. I've just want to know if anyone knows if zoloft or anti-depressants in general can cause or irritate tinnitus? Also if anyone has any advice or knows a way to treat it, I would tremendously appreciate any help. The constant ringing is driving me Insane, so if anyone can help, please do.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      i have seen other people on different forums that said there tinnitus started while taking zoloft, maybe try one that isnt octoxic as zoloft is. im not sure there are any antidepressants that are not toxic on the ears... maybe someone knows a safe one??????

• Like Like x 2
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I looked it up, and found that Zoloft is considered an ototoxic drug. You could Google "antidepressants", and see which ones are not ototoxic. Then, you could ask your doctor to switch you to another drug.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I've been on Lexapro for a while now. It seems to help a good deal and the chances of it causing T is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY low.
      You might ask your doctor about it.

• Like Like x 3
    5. NGC891
      Wishful

NGC891 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1998 > 2008 > 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, weigh 69kg / size 1.8m
      • Like Like x 3
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nsanta

Nsanta Member

Thanks guys! I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and hoping all goes well. Hopefully I can get a new prescription. I'm at my wits end with this ringing. Thank you soo much again guys! I really appreciate it!

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nsanta

Nsanta Member

I also wanted to ask and see if anyone knew if the tinnitus might be a temporary or permanent effect because of the zoloft or any ototoxic medications?? I'm really hoping and praying it's only temporary, especially since I've only been on the zoloft for about a month and the ringing started almost 2 weeks ago.

8. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think my tinnitus was from a drug or chemical and that was 21 months ago..:(

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think every drug under the sun is listed as oxtoxic,yet some of them they use for tinnitus... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nsanta

Nsanta Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Jeannie, I really hope it gets better for you as well. I'll keep you in my prayers as well as all of you. What medication were you taking that caused it? I'm doing my best to keep positive and hoping and praying it gets better.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Nsanta,

My tinnitus (I had mild tinnitus for many years) got significantly worse after taking a blood pressure drug for the first time. That was four years ago, and I still have the tinnitus, but it has gotten more manageable. But then, I'm a lot older than you. It's possible that when you change drugs and get on one that calms you down without hurting your ears, that the tinnitus will calm down, too.

Sending lots of positive vibes your way!!

Hugs,
      Karen

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      As said above, it seems just about every drug is listed as ototoxic.

I have been taking sertraline (zoloft here in the UK) for two months now since the onset of my T and have noticed no difference in it .

I'm sure in some cases certain drugs have caused or aggrevated T , but in a lot of cases I think it's just coincidence that someone's T appeared of escalated whilst taking a drug.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nsanta

Nsanta Member

Thanks again guys! It's really feels great having so much support. Thanks Karen! I'm doing my best to stay positive and strong. Like I said before I'm just hoping and praying it gets better. Thanks for all the positivity, I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and sending positives vibes your way.

Thanks for all the info Eldudebro! It's really helped a lot and really helped me learn more about tinnitus. I really appreciate it! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts as well Dude Bro! Lol

• Like Like x 1
    14. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Nsanta, Sorry you are suffering dude!! It sucks!!:banghead::cry::X3: I know (been there)! When I first developed T, I came down with gnarly anxiety and depression from the constant loud eeeeeeeeeeeeee in my head. It was a trip because I had never had any anxiety or depression issues in my whole life! I didn't know how to deal with it. So my docs put me on all sorts of different anti-anxiety/depression meds to see what worked best. None of them made my T any worse, but a few made my life worse!! Ambien & paroxatine were the worst for me!! Turned me up-side-down and slapped me silly!!:wacky::eek::confused: I finally landed on Klonopin, which doesn't really affect my T, but helps me deal with it much better.:)

But in addition to just meds, and I am sure others have encouraged you as well, try many of the various therapies and treatments you will see shared here on TT! Also make sure you are getting your sleep on!!! :sleep: So important! Try different masking techniques, get as much physical exercise as you can to get naturally tired, breathing exercises, etc... One you get a stabilized and normalized sleep pattern, things start looking up man!

Glad you are here on TT!!(y) This forum rocks, as you have already seen. A bunch of great people who know EXACTLY what you are going thru, and can help you get thru it!! Stay connected. The good peeps here on TT were/are essential to my habituation!!:) Stay positive and don't let you T win!! Kick it's butt!!

Peace and rest to you brother!!

Jeff
      :rockingbanana:

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nsanta

Nsanta Member

Thanks Jeff! It means a lot getting so much support! I'm on the same boat, just the constant eeee and the depression is pretty tough. I was on ambien and zoloft, and I don't think they really did anything besides giving me ringing ears. I've never been a big fan of meds at all, the do help, but in most cases they usually give you something worse than you already had *sigh* I've been looking into some therapies and some natural things, so I'm def going to check them out. I'm gonna wait on trying others meds again unless I Really have to. But this place has been Awesome!! So many great, positive, and supportive people in hear! I've only been on here a couple days and everyone's been so amazing! I can say I joined this site feeling pretty depressed and anxious, and I'm already starting to feel a bit more positive and better. It's really great knowing you're not alone in all of this. Thanks Jeff! And thanks to All of You Guys! You've really made me feel better! I know it's a long and tough road, but knowing I've got some companions along the way, really helps! :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    16. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @Nsanta I was on ambien for a few months, and I hated taking it. But there was just no way around it in the first few months, even with significant masking at night. Now I just use a runner's ear bud (one that hooks behind your ear) and play a white noise app (rain, ocean sounds... something like that). I try to play it below my T level and just relax and not get too worked up about my T. Was hard at first, but now I fall asleep in just a few minutes and usually wake up half way through the night with the ear bud knocked out. I just throw it back in, and go right back to sleep. You'll find something that works for you. Use the Ambien if you have to... But try and give it a go without it some nights and see if you can get into your old sleeping patterns without it. Good luck, and let me know if you need any help.

Eric

17. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
      Maybe just a coincidence, but I saw here a lot of people complaining that were taking zoloft and suddenly started having T. The problem it's not conclusive because all had depression, one of the causes for T, like noise trauma or backbone issues are, so........but sure can be related.