Hi, i'm lieke

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lieke, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Lieke

Lieke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-13
      Hi,

I am 16 years old and i live in the netherlands, last saturday i went to a party. My group stood at the front of the tent (where the speakers and the bar were) and after 2 hours we went home. I had a high pitch in my head, but i wasn't worried about it, until the day after (so sunday) it was still there. The next day i thought it was gone, but when i went to sleep it was there again. And it hasn't left since.

So i have T since a couple of days, it is a very high pinch. It sounds like one of those older tv's which also have a very high pinch in the background, which older people can't hear, but you can. When i'm busy doing stuff i dont really notice it, but when its quiet (so mostly when i go to sleep) i can hear it clearly. I am sort of positive about it because during the day i dont hear it all the time and the sleeping thing: i will probably figure out to ignore that too.

Groetjes (dutch greetings)
      Lieke

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Get to ENT immediately (or go to the emergency ward, if necessary) for evaluation. Ask for a course of steroids (Prednisolone or similar) - should be started as soon as possible. If the doctor thinks you have come too late, then don't bother with the treatment (side effects are plenty).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lieke

Lieke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-13
      Does that even help with this kind of T?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lieke

Lieke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-13
      Does that help with my kind of Tinnitus?

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Like I said, get to the emergency ward now. Let the doctors determine if it may, or may not help (in my case it didn't). Best chances are with an injection directly into the ear, but not many doctors will perform that procedure.

\Jakob

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I agree with the above.

Please go see an ENT. If you can't get an immediate appointment with the ENT, then go the emergency ward route.

If early course of steroids reverse your tinnitus, you'll be forever grateful that you went to the dr soon enough.

There's also the possibility of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, which could be administered in conjunction with the steroids. It is also a treatment type that is best started as soon as possible after acoustic trauma. There's a thread about HBO in "Treatments" section.

Please act fast. Time is of the essence in acute tinnitus. These actions may or may not be effective, but at the very least you know you tried your everything in the beginning.

Let us know how it goes, and all the best wishes to you Lieke,
      Markku

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lieke

Lieke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-13
      But its not acute T, i got it from the party i went to, i stood too close to the speakers, and it was an illegal party so volume control is not a thing they paid attention too.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lieke

Lieke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-13
      Ill read the forums and ill make an appiontment with an ENT. Hope it will turn out right for me

9. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is acute from what I can read (ie. 5 days ago). In any event, let the doctors be the judge of whether they can help or not. But your chances are rapidly diminishing by not going. So please go now.

10. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You need to go now (not in two weeks).

• Like Like x 1
    11. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Go to the emergency and tell them you had a blast in the ears last night at a party, they'll give you vasodilatators and prednislone, it's the only treatment that exists as of today and only works in the first 48hours

12. robert1981

robert1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2013
      hoi Lieke,

ik las toevallig je berichtjes hier.
      heb je die behandeling laten uitvoeren op het ziekenhuis? ben je van je klachten af?

Groetjes,
      robert

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lieke

Lieke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-13
      Hi!
      Okay is has been a year and i thought i'd tell something about last year.
      I went to the doctor and to make a long story short, it didnt go away. I still have T.
      But a lot has changed over the course of the year, i found as you say: the new normal.

In the first couple of months everytime i heard the tone, my thoughts were: thats not supposed to be there, its very annoying, why do i have T, why me, my wont my brains just shut up. Now its just something thats just there, no thoughts about it, no negative or positive connotations, it just exists. So that definitely changed for me.
      Futhermore the tone itself changed, its just different, its less prominent and also less sharp. Its less a tone and more a ringing, i find this myself a positive change. A couple of months it almost went away, i never really heard it or bothered to check if it was there, but then the volume went up again.
      I also lost my sleeping problems, even though in think my getting to sleep process is different than it was before, i have no problems getting to sleep.
      My ears have grown more sensitive to sounds and if i go to a party without ear protection i usually have an increased volume for a couple of weeks. With earprotection going to party's is no problem (unless the music is very very very loud), i had an introduction week to the city im studying in, and after a week of partying non stop, the sound only increased a little bit, and it went down again.
      I was very worried that during tests i would hear my T the whole time, but even in the beginning i never had any problems with that, i was just too concentrated i guess to hear it.

Btw: im now studing medicine (the kind where you become a doctor, not where you make the medicine) so maybe one day i will be the one finding a solution to this :)

Groetjes! (Dutch greetings) from Lieke

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Do not go to a party without earplugs EVER! You have mild tinnitus and you are handling it well. Do not risk it at making it worse! Consider this this tinnitus your final warning. If you like to party, just wear some proper earplugs!