Hi my friends...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kathi, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I haven't been around much although I have read here a few times a week. I didn't have anything positive to add because I was having some ups and downs with my mental outlook--but I do now--I had a perfectly lovely day with my T being very noticeable! You all know that I love to go 'questing' --which is really antiquing --but to me it's a quest--a quest to find things we love --like old toys, tea tins, oil memorabilia and real wood furniture. We went today even though my T was loud. We found a few treasures--small ones but things that I love. We then went for dinner at a diner--NJ is famous for it's diners. You have to experience one to know how great they are. When I was in each shop I forgot about my T--but I knew it was there in the background. It just didn't bother me at all--and when I heard it again, I had no emotional reaction. I think it was because I was having such a happy time--hunting among old things to find my treasures. My T is still a daily challenge--but it's getting easier. I really can see the light at the end of the habituation tunnel and it's not a train coming full on anymore. It's being able to more than just function--work--keep up with obligations. I know that I will come out on the other side now. I know that the time I invested in CBT and working on my anxieties has really paid off. I'm so different from the woman who wanted to just end in December last year. I'm different from the woman who decided to just get on with it and put up with it. I am able to enjoy again...and that is a blessing. I expect more ups and downs but I know I will succeed in living my life on my terms.

I love you all and thank you for all your support and guidance. I look forward to the day when I have to 'seek' my T to hear it--and now I know that I'll get there. Time just takes time--if you know what I mean. Time and therapy helped me enormously.

• Like Like x 8
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Kathi,

I'm very glad to hear that you are doing so well! You are well on the way to habituation, and as you now know, it's a process. It has its ups and downs, but as you learn to put the tinnitus out of your mind and on a back-burner, things really do improve. You have come a long way since you first joined us; I remember being very concerned about you because you were in the depths of despair. And now, look at you! You're a success story in the making.

What wonderful news! Now, you know that you can go back to living your life again -- a bit changed by the experience, but perhaps even better than before!

• Like Like x 3
    3. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @Kathi

Your post has such good timing for me. I was looking for a pick me up as I'm struggling so much. Its nice to hear from another NJ person too, I assume!

Your story has inspired me at just the right time. Thank you, thank you.
      Keep up the great work and I hope to get to your level some day.

Keep rockin'

Larry

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @Karen --it is amazing isn't it? I could never have gotten to this point without you and the other veterans like @billie48 and most especially @here2help--also a few newbies (we can learn from everyone)--especially @cullenbohannon. @Dr. Nagler was very encouraging to me, and @Dr. Hubbard's posts boosted my appreciation of the CBT I did. Also @click, who posted to me in that very dark day in December 2013 and helped me when I was at my worst. I'm not a success story yet--but I know I'll get there. I no longer fear the mornings when I wake up hearing my T--it's just part of my life now.

Thank you for being here Karen. You are such a comfort.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @Larry OT -- you will get to where I am--it just takes time and a plan. I'm so happy that I could help you. I've walked in your shoes, as the veterans here have walked in mine. Yes, I'm from NJ--I'm down the shore in Central NJ. I ride motorcycles too--and thought I'd never ride again but with ear plugs and a 3/4 helmet that covers my ears I am riding again.

Look at my old posts and you can follow my journey from despair to where I am now--living my life--T and all.

I wish you the very best. (((Larry OT))) --That's a big hug. :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey @Kathi this is some of the best news I have heard in a while. I'm so happy to hear you're doing better. I think people who are struggling should look to you for inspiration. You've been through a lot and I love the confidence you have. Keep it up. Also Kathi I was born in the mamouth Neptune area. Just curious if that's near where you're from. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hi @cullenbohannon -- I'm not from Neptune but I work there. I'm closer to the shore--unfortunately. My husband's shop was in Sea Bright but it was totally wiped out in Sandy.

So good to see you! I sent you a private conversation about where I live. Thank you for all your help, honesty and encouragement.