Hi, New Member Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by corkontheocean, Aug 1, 2014.

1. corkontheocean
      Tired

corkontheocean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Hello everyone, I'm Cheryl.

My tinnitus, if that's what I actually have, began 2 weeks ago. I should probably explain I've had issues with a build up of wax in my ears for many years, since I was a kid, I've had my ears syringed twice over the years, etc, always helped at the time. But the wax would always build up again. But I'd never (that I'm aware of) heard any ringing, humming, etc in either of my ears. If there were any noises, they clearly weren't noticeable.

So for the past few years, my left ear was basically blocked up again due to wax, but I never did anything about it until a couple of weeks ago, when my right ear became blocked too. Needless to say, I couldn't hear very well so my partner got me some ear drops and has been helping me to put them in. After using the drops for only 2 days, I started to notice a sound in my left ear, its hard to explain but its like a high pitched sound, but also feels like theres a kind of static sound as well? (as if your tv is on a channel which isn't tuned in, if that makes any sense, not the same sound but its the closest I can get to describing it) and its driving me insane. For a few days it got to me, I couldn't stop crying because it was depressing me, I felt silly but I just couldn't help it. Then all of a sudden, one day, it either got quieter, or I learned to ignore it, because it suddenly didn't seem to get to me as much.

Until the start of this week. OMG, it sounds louder than ever and I just can't seem to drown it out. I had a job interview on Wednesday and I've no idea how I managed to stay focused during that. I keep randomly breaking down crying because I feel like I can't cope with it, I feel like I'm annoying my partner (I'm fairly sure I'm not, but I'm paranoid I am) and I can't concentrate on anything for too long.

Is it at all possible that the drops I've been using are causing the sound? What I mean is, is it possible, that the fact they're dislodging my earwax, could be causing my ears to be so noisy? I've been reading that a build up of earwax can be a cause of tinnitus; I mean it would seem to make sense that this could be the case.
      My next question really is; do I need to see a doctor? Would it be any use or would they just turn me away and say nothing can be done? I don't want to waste time booking an appointment, hoping they can help when they may in fact say I have to learn to cope with it.

Sorry for the long introduction, I would just appreciate any advice from fellow sufferers.
      Thank you :)

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Not a good idea.

If it is "over-the-counter" eardrops, then probably not. However, I generally don't recommend trying to "fix" earwax build-up yourself using q-tips or eardrops, or other home-remedies. Go to an ENT for wax removal.

Yes. Seeing an ENT would probably be most helpful. I would not recommend getting your ears syringed, however. If there is wax build-up, then insist on having the wax removed using medical instruments (as a starting point). Syringing the ears should only be done if all else fails. Syringing the ears can cause damage (and tinnitus, in fact).

It would seem that there is a chance your tinnitus could go away (based on what you describe). So it is definitely worth a try.

3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      In case it wasn't clear @corkontheocean your tinnitus may be due to the wax build-up itself. If it is still there - the wax, that is - then having it removed may well improve/eliminate your tinnitus. That is why you definitely should see an ENT. Tinnitus is not always due to problems with the inner ear. Middle ear problems (eg. hole in the ear drum or wax build-up) are also potential causes of tinnitus. Good luck and take care.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      corkontheocean
      Tired

corkontheocean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Hi, thank you so much for the reply!

There is definitely still wax in there - I haven't been to the doctors yet as in the past they always said to try drops beforehand before considering other options. Unfortunately I've been trying to call the doctors this afternoon to get an appointment ASAP and its been proving impossible attempting to get through.

Thank you for your advice though - I'm going to hopefully get this sorted as soon as I can, if it is the wax issue (which seems likely considering how this came about) then hopefully they will help me out somehow.

It makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not alone in this. Its obviously awful for anyone having to go through, but being able to talk to those who know exactly how it feels, has helped.

5. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      My. Mate had a simple ear infection ,was told to fill her ear up with olive oil ,hey what led on but her now with T.So the less you put into your ears the better,she's said worst advice she ever listened to.I agree to getting ones ears syringed,can bring on T,think lots of Drs avoid doing it these days,then your get Drs who don't give a toss,yea okay it's not there ears hey.sometimes all it takes is a warm bit of heat to the ear to easing ear aches,and infections. You need to get ears checked out,can't go on like you are at present.Stay on site get back let's know what there going to do for you,although we've all been down this road to some degree.Wish you luck

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      corkontheocean
      Tired

corkontheocean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Hi Marlene, thanks for your reply!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend - in the past I was often told to try olive oil for my ears too, I never actually did though and always stuck to ear drops. Its rather scary knowing that you can't always go by what your doctor says and I think that's making me a little nervous about going but you're right - I have to go and get them checked out or I'll go crazy. I will stay on site and keep everyone updated on the situation, thank you so much for the support.

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      It seems you have a really good chance of it going away once an ent gets all the wax out of your ears safely. Theres probably still an abundance of wax piled up in there.. But im no doc but hope once you see one i hope all goes well and your T is history!!! :)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      corkontheocean
      Tired

corkontheocean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Hi Grace, thanks for your reply! I really hope you're right - I'm going to keep trying to get into the doctors and see what they say :) hopefully I will be able to update on the situation soon!

9. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      How is your T now? :)

10. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I know people that use olive oil. The olive oil should be mixed with warm water. Google olive oil to clear ear wax.