Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by leslye, Feb 28, 2014.

1. leslye
      Tolerant

leslye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I've had Tinnitus since December. Not sure exactly how I got it. This prolly sounds silly. But I believe it happened after a visit with my dentist for a cleaning. On my way home. I started noticing the piercing sound in my right ear. Today its very loud. And I came online looking for advice n relief. And I came upon this site... :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Welcome, Leslye!

We're so glad you found us. This is a great forum, with lots of knowledgeable people, and lots of support and understanding.

No, it doesn't sound silly that your tinnitus could have been caused by a visit to the dentist. With all the high-speed equipment that is used today, it's possible that the cleaning could have set off your tinnitus. We may never really know what caused the tinnitus to begin, but that is definitely possible. It could be that your ear was already sensitive, or that you had some undetectable hearing loss, and that might have set the stage for the tinnitus to begin.

We're glad to welcome you as a member of Tinnitus Talk!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      leslye
      Tolerant

leslye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ty Karen.. Im not really sure what to say. Except. some days its almost unbearable! ! Just reading all the posts has really made me feel better... :) I havnt had the sleeping probs like alot of people. I've done well at ignoring it. But, some days ive even felt like cramming a ice pick in my ear!!! lol

4. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Welcome glad u found us...hope that u feel better...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi, Leslye...
      I think my T was also caused by going to the dentist. I'm still hoping it will subside. I've read that when nerves are aggravated they can take quite awhile to subside. My early days were quite bad and I felt like banging my head against the wall at times. It has gotten better, or else I'm just getting used to it. Either way is an improvement, altho some days are still a trial!! There's lots of helpful info on this site. Good luck!

6. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Mine came on after an ear infection, but I had my hearing tested and I have a big dip in the High Frequency end. The ear infection kinda activated the T in the bad ear.... I would bet if you had a audiologist test the very high end you may have a drop, or loss.... it seems very common to have some form of hearing loss and the T....

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      leslye
      Tolerant

leslye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thx so much guys for the response! ! :) Makes me feel better. This morning my T is at a very low frequency. Im trying to figure out what makes it so loud? I work in a hospital. im thinking the floor cleaning machines n the heart monitors are setting it louder. cuz when I leave work its really bad...

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad your tinnitus is at a low frequency this morning. That's great!

I have noticed, like you, that my tinnitus seems much worse in the afternoon when I come home. I don't notice it as much at work. It might help to turn on some sort of background sound when you get home from work. It seems to be the transition from a noisier environment to a quieter one that makes it seem so much worse. At least, that's how it is for me.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      leslye
      Tolerant

leslye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I dont notice it at work either? Seems strange doesn't it?

10. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      :welcomesignanimation: Leslye!!!! Glad you found TT!! Great people here, with fantastic support, information and experience with tinnitus ("T"). You are definitely not alone and definitely will get through this!!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      leslye
      Tolerant

leslye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ty Jeff! Im really glad I found ya'll :)

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      leslye
      Tolerant

leslye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      oh..And I think its just in my right ear? not really sure? But I have noticed that it seems that people calling out to me at work have to repeat themselves more than usual?

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leslye,

Yours sounds a lot like mine. Mine is in my right ear only (I definitely have hearing loss in that ear), and it is always at its best in the morning. It gets worse in the late afternoon, then calms down again (usually) after dinner. The sound I have is a steady high-pitched hissing sound. I also have pulsatile tinnitus which I can hear in the background.

• Like Like x 1
    14. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Aloha leslye, I work in nursing too and when I'm at work my T is not heard until I take a break, im so busy running around I think because our brains
      Is so busy doing so many stuff at once it can't focus on T.once I leave work and I'm driving I hear it but not really loud I just focus on driving and its gone again,,,,, hope all goes well for u'''''