Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dianerose, Aug 5, 2012.

1. dianerose

dianerose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2006
      Hi. Ive never done a forum before. Ive had tinnitus since 2006. At that time I was diagnosed with acute labyrinthitis.... and I was unable to work for about 4 months.... which was very hard bc I am both self employed and a single mother.... thank God for family. At that time I suffered from anxiety and veritgo terribly. Today all that remains is the tinnitus. I have read a lot on this post the past couple of days.... it really is great. Im going to get some Mg today.... and yes I think the more you think of it the more prominent it becomes.

I found this site....www.Audionotch.com. I am trying it. If anyone else does... let me know your thoughts!

I'm not a person of fancy or many words. I think that tinnitus is a symptom of some sort of overstimulation. Its like a lot of the research I read on here... either inhibitory pathways are faulty or perhaps receptors overfiring... whichever, the overstimulation of primitive brain areas produces heightened responses..... probably why tinnitus sufferers get anxiety.... part and parcel of the overstimulation. I don't persnally think the tinnitus causes the anxiety or vice versa. At least the research seems to be pointing this way.... when I first got this in 2006 I was told I was having an abnormal response to hearing loss, then I was told I had menieres.... I settled on their dx of viral labyrinthitis (2006) and I believe my residual symptoms are due to the damage it created.... and now I need to rewire...lol!!!! I hope it happens soon.... for all of us. This thing saps the joy from life....if you let it.

Diane

2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
    3. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      There is some nice free stuff on this website, some tinnitus maskers, white noise, rain sounds etc. and also a tool to match the tone of your tinnitus. But I feel the price is really steep for something so simple (creating a notch in an audio file). Unless there is something I don't understand.

You could easily do something like this yourself using a free audio editing software like audacity. I'm actually going to make a white noise tailored to my tinnitus tone and see if it works.

4. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Fish -
      You're right. You can make your own MP3 files using audio editing software. I've used something called NCH Tone Generator.

Although I've never made "notched" music, there are several instructional videos on YouTube that explain the process.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dianerose

dianerose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2006
      Hi again. Im not sure where to post everything. I just finished reading the whole thread that starts out about Dr. Hogan and then people input about various medications... SSRIs, Benzo meds.

So I have had this for a while and have tried various things.... When I first got "this" in 2006 my anxiety was so bad I had to stop working for a few months. At the time my Dr. prescribed lorazepam.... which was great at reducing the anxiety, I researched it and after about a month I was worried I was going to depend on it..... I really needed those pills to survive at the time. Due to these concerns my Dr. said to try Zopiclone/immovane to help me sleep as it was less addictive. (Before the diazepam... I didn't sleep for about 2 weeks straight). I had a bit of overlap here. Zopliclone/lorazepam should not be taken together.... it will make your toes curl!!!!!! The zopiclone I still use occasionally.... My MD is great at giving me whatever I want as I was lucky that he has seen this before and he respected me despite my condition and way I was acting as he knew the me before. I have tried the Mg thanks to this post and I am finding I don't need zopiclone.... this is huge for me. Also I have read that zopiclone is actually addictive and will produce some kind of rebound effect.... but since taking the Mg I have not felt any of this effect. Thank you. I also use Mg oil. The notched music... I tried, but I don't stick to it. 5HTP was not as effective as zopiclone to help me sleep.... but I have substitued and tried it. Ashwagandha during the day I tried...very calming...it affects GABA transmitters somehow. I use the obusforme sound macine at night sometimes. My ENT suggested Amitrptiline, or a different medication, I forget the name but can find it if you are intersted.... its supposed to be an anti seizure med. I have known 2 other woman who had this. The first, her tinnitus went/or she habituated after a year, the second after 2 years.... Im not sure what my deal is. I try to ignore it and live.
      I know the awful T goes w AT.... tinnitus and Anxiety... overstimulation. I don't like to take a lot of meds, but if the cloneazapam works Ill ask my doctor for it (and will follow the protocol suggested). I think (I know this sounds wierd)my brain is in a to do loop... I've read it worded better here.... are some very smart people on this site.... thank you. Other than the Meds, my ENT is not of much help, and Im scared to do the meds, but am thinking of it... trying something. I have had 3 MRIs... all normal, one was with contrast.... however from what I've read here there are more precise ones. I had 1 CT scan... normal. I find some foods.... eating out... if something upsets my stmach the T gets worse. I am just thankful, even though I live like this that I am not as incapacitated/non functional as I was when it first started. I hope this helps somebody, and thanks for posting, I really appreciate this site.
      Diane

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dianerose

dianerose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2006
      Oh.... another thing... Ive had several hearing tests.... the first in 2006... I was dx w sensorineraul hearing loss.... mild.... this was awful at the time bc this ENT said my anxiety was just an abnormal response to hearing loss. Ok, so before 2006, when the T started I don't have a hearing test to compare. But I have had several since then and my hearing has not deteriorated since 2006... the graph is always the same.... the same amt of loss as in 2006.... this might put your mind at rest that, well for me.... and hopefully for all of us, the T doesn't, itself, cause a decrease in hearing.