Hidden Struggle → Meniere's Disease (Vertigo, Motion Sickness, Hearing Loss, Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by glynis, Oct 8, 2023.

1. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      20231007_131616.jpg

I am the most loving, caring, honest, reliable person who puts others first. I am a lovely mum, grandma and mum to 3 cats. I work as a Health Care Assistant. This is the person people see. They don't see the person with hidden health problems.

Meniere's disease came in to my life about the age of 25, in both ears. Vertigo, motion sickness, hearing loss and yes, tinnitus. Over the years my hearing has got worse. I have hearing aids in both ears. My tinnitus screams 24/7 to the point that it's like my head's in a glass oven on full blast. Sleep is a nightmare, I need meds to help. This is the part people don't see. They don't see the fight to stay happy and not give in day after day.

To give in or give up will never happen because I push through everything and I don't look back; only to see how far I've come.

I bring joy, care, and love to people who struggle with dementia and other conditions who need lots of care and can't care for themselves.

Yes, my ears blast 24/7. I could lose more hearing and go deaf. This is the person they don't see.

I push hard every day so people see the happy me at work and home, but sometimes I wish people could be me to hear what I hear and could understand the unseen me. I also used to be ignorant to what I don't know or see - until it struck me.

Glynis

• Hug Hug x 10
      • Friendly Friendly x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
    2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Here's hoping treatments are not far away for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I first joined Tinnitus Talk a year ago when my 45-year-old mild tinnitus turned severe. Like many, I ploughed and analysed so many posts of members from yesteryear seeking validation, help and maybe even a cure.

I read many of your posts. Many you have probably forgot you wrote, but there was comfort in much of what you articulated.

Our outside persona never changed but our inside self did. This is what is never seen or understood by others. I never understood this either until it happened.

You sound such a kind heart with a caring soul, I hope a cure or relief is found for you soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      This applies to people with unbelievable strength. Not me. I am not the same person outside, not even close. Maybe that's why I want to kill that new person.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Cmspgran
      Doubtful

Cmspgran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      A heartfelt post @glynis.

None of us deserve this godawful condition and I pray and hope that one of the pipeline therapies actually works for us all in the next five years, be it the Shore device or one of the potassium channel openers or a wildcard that springs up out of nowhere that none of us saw coming.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      I’ve read plenty of your posts and they were always very kind and supportive. I hope you find relief and have many good days/years ahead.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. 4Grace
      Heartbroken

4Grace Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Insomnia,Noise Trauma,very brief period of Benzo and AD use
      People like you give me hope. What an incredible story. Tinnitus Talk has introduced me to some of the kindest people I have ever known. I wish I was as strong as you. You are truly blessed. It is a beautiful post, your last sentence really hits home.

Did you ever not do anything in your life because of the noise? For example, miss a wedding? Or did you just go. Did it keep getting worse over the years or did it reach a peak at some point?

I love people like you!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1